[Efficacy and tolerance of the bisoprolol/hydrochlorothiazide combination in arterial hypertension]

Arq Bras Cardiol. 1998 Oct;71(4):601-8. doi: 10.1590/s0066-782x1998001000008.
[Article in Portuguese]

Abstract

Purpose: Multicenter, open and non-controlled study to evaluated the efficacy and the tolerability of a low-dose combination of two anti-hypertensive agents: a cardioselective beta-blocker, bisoprolol (2.5 and 5.0 mg) with 6.25 mg of hydrochlorothiazide.

Methods: One hundred and six patients in the stage I and stage II of the systemic hypertension (mild to moderate) were given the bisoprolol/hydrochlorothiazide combination once daily and the diastolic and systolic blood pressures were monitored during the 8-week trial.

Results: The bisoprolol/hydrochlorothiazide combination reduced the initial mean values of systolic and diastolic blood pressures, respectively, from the 157.4 mmHg and 98.8 mmHg to 137.3 mmHg and 87.4 mmHg. At the end of the treatment period, 61% of the patients normalized blood pressure values (< 90 mmHg) and 22.9% of them had responded to the treatment, resulting in a total response rate (normalized + responsive) of 83.9% of cases. Adverse events were described only in 18.9% of the patients and dizziness and headache were the most common. There were no clinically significant changes on plasma levels of potassium, uric acid, glucose, or in the lipid profile.

Conclusion: The combination of low dosages of bisoprolol and hydrochlorothiazide may be considered an effective, well tolerated and rational alternative for the initial treatment of the patients with mild to moderate hypertension.

Publication types

  • Clinical Trial
  • Clinical Trial, Phase IV
  • English Abstract
  • Multicenter Study

MeSH terms

  • Adult
  • Aged
  • Antihypertensive Agents / therapeutic use*
  • Bisoprolol / therapeutic use*
  • Drug Combinations
  • Female
  • Follow-Up Studies
  • Humans
  • Hydrochlorothiazide / therapeutic use*
  • Hypertension / drug therapy*
  • Male
  • Middle Aged

Substances

  • Antihypertensive Agents
  • Drug Combinations
  • Hydrochlorothiazide
  • Bisoprolol