Perceptions of the effect of an impending restaurant smoking ban on dining-out experience

Prev Med. 1999 Jul;29(1):53-6. doi: 10.1006/pmed.1999.0502.


Background: The introduction of bans on smoking in restaurants is frequently marred by claims that they will lead to a loss of business.

Methods: A representative sample of 3,019 South Australians age 15+ years were asked questions about dining-out frequency and perceived effects of the ban on their dining-out enjoyment and restaurant patronage.

Results: Sixty-one percent thought the ban would make dining out more enjoyable, 5% thought it would be less enjoyable, and 34% thought it would make no difference. Overall, 82% thought the ban would make no difference to their likelihood of dining out, 14% would be more likely to dine out, and 4% would be less likely.

Conclusions: These data suggest that the public expects bans on smoking in restaurants to result in both increased enjoyment and increased patronage of restaurants.

Publication types

  • Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't

MeSH terms

  • Adolescent
  • Adult
  • Aged
  • Attitude to Health*
  • Chi-Square Distribution
  • Commerce / statistics & numerical data*
  • Confidence Intervals
  • Female
  • Health Behavior
  • Health Policy / legislation & jurisprudence*
  • Humans
  • Male
  • Middle Aged
  • Restaurants* / legislation & jurisprudence
  • Restaurants* / statistics & numerical data
  • Sampling Studies
  • Smoking* / legislation & jurisprudence
  • Smoking* / psychology
  • South Australia
  • Tobacco Smoke Pollution / legislation & jurisprudence


  • Tobacco Smoke Pollution