Factors associated with HIV testing: results from an Italian General Population Survey

Prev Med. 2001 Jan;32(1):40-8. doi: 10.1006/pmed.2000.0778.


Background: HIV testing, with appropriate counseling, can help prevent the spread of HIV infection. This study is the first national survey in Italy that examines factors associated with serotesting among Italian heterosexuals and is part of a European Concerted Action.

Methods: In 1998, a cross-sectional telephone survey was conducted on a random sample (n = 2,603) of the Italian population ages 18-49 years. Associations between HIV testing and risky sexual behaviors (multiple sexual partners in the past 5 years, intercourse with prostitutes, not always using condoms with a new sexual partner) and sociodemographic variables are examined separately for men and women using multiple logistic regression.

Results: The prevalence of having ever been tested for HIV, whether voluntarily or not, among heterosexual men and women is 27.0 and 32.8%, respectively. Voluntary testing is reported by 8.4% of heterosexual men and 6.1% of heterosexual women. Multivariate analysis shows that having multiple sexual partners significantly increases the odds of testing (Men: OR = 2.10; 95% CI: 1.3-3.4. Women: OR = 3.03; 95% CI: 1.7-5.4). Multiple logistic regression, controlling for risky behavior, shows also that persons ages 30-39 years have significantly higher probability of being tested than younger subjects (Men: OR = 3.30; 95% CI: 1.4-7.9. Women: OR = 2.61; 95% CI:1.1-6.4). Better educated women tend to have a higher probability of testing, but this increase is not significant at the 5% level.

Conclusions: The prevalence of voluntary serotesting in Italy is lower than in other countries. Risky sexual behavior is associated with higher odds of testing; however, a high proportion of at-risk heterosexuals never sought testing. Particular attention should be dedicated to younger persons and to less educated women.

Publication types

  • Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't

MeSH terms

  • AIDS Serodiagnosis / statistics & numerical data*
  • Adolescent
  • Adult
  • Cross-Sectional Studies
  • Female
  • HIV Infections / prevention & control*
  • Heterosexuality
  • Humans
  • Italy
  • Logistic Models
  • Male
  • Middle Aged
  • Multivariate Analysis
  • Odds Ratio
  • Patient Acceptance of Health Care*
  • Risk Factors
  • Risk-Taking
  • Sexual Behavior
  • Socioeconomic Factors