An 18th century report of a device for repeated extracranial drainage of cerebrospinal fluid in the treatment of congenital hydrocephalus is reviewed. On 15th October 1744, the French surgeon Claude-Nicolas Le Cat (1700-1768) introduced a specially invented canula into the lateral ventricle of a newborn boy with hydrocephalus. The canula was used as a tap and was left in place for 5 days, until the death of the child. This procedure should be seen as the first documented description of a device for repeated ventricular taps in the treatment of hydrocephalus.
Copyright 2003 S. Karger AG, Basel