Intrauterine fetal transfusion, 1963-90

Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 1992 Sep 1;2(5):329-32. doi: 10.1046/j.1469-0705.1992.02050329.x.

Abstract

The first fetal transfusion was performed at the National Women's Hospital in Auckland in 1963. From that time until the end of 1990, a total of 1041 transfusions have been completed on 459 fetuses. The survival rate for affected pregnancies rose significantly from 39% in 1963-65 to 90% in 1986-90. The initial 409 patients had fetal transfusions performed via the intraperitoneal cavity with X-ray guidance. Since 1986, 50 pregnancies have been treated with intravascular transfusions under ultrasound guidance and 45 fetuses survived.