Pseudotumor cerebri: risk factors, clinical course, prognostic criteria

Rom J Neurol Psychiatry. Apr-Jun 1992;30(2):115-32.

Abstract

Eighty-five patients with the diagnosis of pseudotumor cerebri were retro- and prospectively studied. For clinical evaluation, the following criteria were used: neurological--headache, ophthalmological--visual acuity, visual field, ophthalmoscopy and psychic--memory. Each patient was assigned 2 categories of results expressed by: neuropsychic and ophthalmological scores which were statistically processed. The following conclusions related to the aim of our paper can be drawn: I.

Risk factors: pregnancy (8% of cases), obesity (15%), generalized infections or located in the pelvic region+operated on (6%), hormonal treatment (cortisol (12%), estrogens (6%)); II. The clinical course was significantly favourable for: headache (51% of cases), defects of visual acuity (54%) and papilledema (63%). The long-lasting effects of the treatment applied showed: recovery (for the 2 parameters) in 27% of patients and improvement with sequelae for one and/or the other parameter in 73% of the cases; III. Among the more significant prognostic criteria were the ophthalmological symptoms and signs at onset of the disease. The ophthalmological sequelae (visual acuity, visual field defects, chronic papilledema and optic atrophy) are important factors in the prognosis of the disease and represent predictors for the surgical management.

MeSH terms

  • Follow-Up Studies
  • Humans
  • Prognosis
  • Prospective Studies
  • Pseudotumor Cerebri / complications
  • Pseudotumor Cerebri / diagnosis
  • Pseudotumor Cerebri / epidemiology*
  • Recurrence
  • Retrospective Studies
  • Risk Factors
  • Romania / epidemiology
  • Time Factors