Determinants of maternal deaths in induced abortion complications in Ivory Coast

Contraception. 2004 Oct;70(4):319-26. doi: 10.1016/j.contraception.2004.04.011.


Persistently high levels of maternal mortality have been reported in Abidjan, the capital of Ivory Coast, with a high prevalence of deaths related to complications of induced abortion. In order to assess the determinants of maternal deaths in induced-abortion complications, this study investigated women admitted to the gynecological departments of four reference hospitals throughout Ivory Coast. Information concerning abortion events was collected by means of a questionnaire during a confidential, face-to-face interview. Medical records were used to collect clinical data and final vital status. In our series, 60% of women declared that they induced abortion themselves at their home; a large majority mentioned "insertion of objects into the vagina" or "ingestion of traditional plants" for this purpose. On the other hand, 40% declared that abortion had been performed by a health worker, mostly at a health facility and by using surgical methods (dilatation and curettage). Less-educated women were more likely to have chosen to induce abortion themselves at home, and more-educated women had undergone abortion through a health professional. Our findings highlight the role of both women and health professionals in responsibility for induced abortion complications.

Publication types

  • Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't

MeSH terms

  • Abortion, Induced / adverse effects
  • Abortion, Induced / methods*
  • Abortion, Induced / mortality*
  • Adolescent
  • Adult
  • Age Factors
  • Contraception / methods
  • Cote d'Ivoire / epidemiology
  • Dilatation and Curettage
  • Educational Status
  • Female
  • Humans
  • Maternal Mortality*
  • Middle Aged
  • Pregnancy
  • Self Care / adverse effects
  • Self Medication / adverse effects