[Some epidemiologic characteristics of foodborne intoxications in Croatia during the 1992-2001 period]

Acta Med Croatica. 2004;58(5):421-7.
[Article in Croatian]


Epidemiologic characteristics of foodborne intoxications registered in Croatia during the 1992-2001 period are described. Salmonellosis, as well as staphylococcal food intoxication, foodborne botulism, Clostridium perfringens food intoxication, histamine poisoning and food intoxication caused by other pathogens, especially conditionally pathogenic bacteria, were analyzed. During the study period, 87,782 cases were reported, 45,721 (52.1%) of them related to salmonellosis and the rest of 42,061 (47.9%) cases to foodborne intoxications of various etiology. The diseases occurred throughout the year, with a higher proportion in summer than at any other time of year. During the study period, 480 outbreaks of foodborne intoxications with 10,567 cases were reported, 405 (84.4%) of them with 8476 cases related to salmonellosis. The most frequently isolated pathogen in salmonellosis outbreaks was Salmonella enteritidis with 345 (85.2%) outbreaks. The outbreaks of salmonellosis were primarily associated with the intake of pastries (40.1%). Ice-cream was associated with a high risk of staphylococcal food intoxication, and bean salad of Clostridium perfringens food intoxication. The food vehicle of transmission most often associated with foodborne botulism outbreaks was smoked ham. Histamine poisoning, recorded in four outbreaks, occurred after consumption of fish and fish products. Salmonellosis outbreaks most frequently occurred at home (n=149; 36.8%), followed by pastry shops with 47 (11.6%) outbreaks, the latter also ranking first in the outbreaks of staphylococcal food intoxication (40%).

Publication types

  • English Abstract

MeSH terms

  • Croatia / epidemiology
  • Food Microbiology
  • Foodborne Diseases / epidemiology*
  • Humans
  • Incidence