The temporopolar cortex plays a pivotal role in temporal lobe seizures

Brain. 2005 Aug;128(Pt 8):1818-31. doi: 10.1093/brain/awh512. Epub 2005 Apr 27.


We investigated the role of the temporal pole (TP) in 48 consecutive patients with drug-refractory temporal lobe epilepsy (TLE). Chronic depth recordings of TP cortex activity were used in association with video recording of ictal symptoms during 48 spontaneous seizures. In 23 cases (48%, group 1) the TP was involved at the onset of the seizure, before or concurrently with the hippocampus. In the remaining 25 patients (52%, group 2) the TP was involved 16.4 +/- 13.8 s after the hippocampus. A past history of febrile seizures was found in both groups, with no statistical difference. Ictal symptoms did not differentiate TP seizures from seizures originating in the hippocampus but the first clinical sign occurred sooner in group 1 compared with group 2 (respectively 10.56 +/- 9 and 25.7 +/- 19 s, respectively, P = 0.005). Loss of awareness also occurred sooner in the case of TP seizures compared with mesiotemporal lobe (MTL) seizures (22.9 +/- 22.6 versus 42.2 +/- 18.6 s, P = 0.0002). MRI data analysis showed that hippocampal sclerosis was present in both groups of patients, although it was more frequent in patients with MTL onset. Anterior temporal white matter changes were found ipsilateral to the epileptogenic area and tended to be more frequent in patients with TP seizures. All the patients underwent tailored anterior temporal lobectomy that included the TP, the hippocampus, the parahippocampal gyrus and the anterior part of the lateral temporal cortex. A better postoperative outcome was achieved in group 1 compared with group 2 (Engel class 1, 95 and 72% respectively, P = 0.04). We conclude that the frequent TP involvement at the onset of seizures could be a supplementary explanation for some failures of selective amygdalohippocampectomy, which should be addressed preferentially to well-selected patients. Moreover, the involvement of the TP cortex at the onset of the seizures is a good predicting factor for postoperative seizure outcome.

MeSH terms

  • Adolescent
  • Adult
  • Anterior Temporal Lobectomy / methods
  • Electroencephalography / methods
  • Epilepsy, Temporal Lobe / physiopathology*
  • Epilepsy, Temporal Lobe / surgery
  • Female
  • Hippocampus / physiopathology
  • Humans
  • Magnetic Resonance Imaging / methods
  • Male
  • Retrospective Studies
  • Seizures / physiopathology*
  • Temporal Lobe / physiopathology*