Transvaginal ultrasound-guided aspiration for treatment of tubo-ovarian abscess: a study of 302 cases

Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2005 Oct;193(4):1323-30. doi: 10.1016/j.ajog.2005.06.019.

Abstract

Objective: Our purpose was to evaluate the effectiveness and safety of transvaginal ultrasound-guided aspiration together with antibiotic therapy for treatment of tubo-ovarian abscess.

Study design: A review of women treated with transvaginal ultrasound-guided aspiration for tubo-ovarian abscess at Haukeland University Hospital, Bergen, Norway, between June 1986 and July 2003 was performed. Immediate clinical response and longer-term follow-up results were assessed.

Results: A total of 449 transvaginal aspirations were performed on 302 women. A total of 282 women (93.4%) were successfully treated for transvaginal aspiration of purulent fluid, together with antibiotic therapy. In the other 20 women (6.6%), surgery was performed. The main indications for surgery were diagnostic or therapeutic uncertainty, such as suspected residual tubo-ovarian abscess or pain. No procedure-related complications were diagnosed.

Conclusion: Transvaginal ultrasound-guided aspiration combined with antibiotics is an effective and safe treatment regimen for tubo-ovarian abscess. The high success rate indicates that it should be a first-line procedure.

Publication types

  • Clinical Trial

MeSH terms

  • Abdominal Abscess / diagnostic imaging*
  • Abdominal Abscess / therapy*
  • Adolescent
  • Adult
  • Aged
  • Aged, 80 and over
  • Anti-Bacterial Agents / therapeutic use*
  • Combined Modality Therapy
  • Fallopian Tube Diseases / diagnostic imaging*
  • Fallopian Tube Diseases / therapy*
  • Female
  • Humans
  • Middle Aged
  • Ovarian Diseases / diagnostic imaging*
  • Ovarian Diseases / therapy*
  • Suction / methods*
  • Ultrasonography
  • Vagina

Substances

  • Anti-Bacterial Agents