Aims: To evaluate the surgical success results of Ahmed glaucoma valve (AGV) and Molteno single-plate implant (MSPI) in cases of neovascular glaucoma (NVG).
Methods: Between May 1997 and May 2002, 38 of 38 NVG patients that underwent implantation of AGV and 27 eyes of 27 NVG patients that underwent MSPI (a total 65 eyes of 65 patients) included to the study.
Results: The cumulative probabilities of success were 63.2% at 1 year, 56.2% at 2 years, 43.2% at 3 years, 37.8% at 4 years, and 25.2% at 5 years in AGV group whereas the cumulative probabilities of success were 37.0% at 1 year, 29.6% at 2 years, 29.6% at 3 years, 29.6% at 4 years, and 29.6% at 5 years in MSPI group (P=0.141). Preoperative visual acuity <2/200 (P=0.003), diagnosis of diabetes mellitius (P=0.050), and preoperative IOP>or=35 mmHg (P=0.038) were found to be poor prognostic factors for surgical success.
Conclusions: Both AGV and single plate MSPI were successful for early and intermediate-term of IOP control but in long term both implants were failed to achieve control of IOP in patients with NVG.