Definitive management of advanced empyema by two-window video-assisted surgery

Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann. 2007 Jun;15(3):238-9. doi: 10.1177/021849230701500313.


We describe how 2-window video-assisted thoracoscopic decortication and lung mobilization can provide definitive management of stage III empyema. This technique was used in 52 patients with stage III empyema. None required additional ports or a thoracotomy. Three patients (6%) needed computed tomography-guided drainage of persistent large loculi, but none required further surgery. Chest radiographs at 6 weeks after surgery confirmed full lung expansion and resolution of pleural collection in the other 49 patients (94%).

MeSH terms

  • Empyema, Pleural / diagnostic imaging
  • Empyema, Pleural / physiopathology
  • Empyema, Pleural / surgery*
  • Feasibility Studies
  • Follow-Up Studies
  • Humans
  • Radiography, Interventional
  • Severity of Illness Index
  • Suction
  • Thoracic Surgery, Video-Assisted / methods*
  • Time Factors
  • Tomography, X-Ray Computed
  • Treatment Outcome