Traumatic aseptic osteitis pubis

Ann Saudi Med. 1991 Mar;11(2):205-8. doi: 10.5144/0256-4947.1991.205.


We studied 78 cases of traumatic aseptic osteitis pubis among Saudi athletes to elucidate the clinical and radiological features of the condition as well as the outcome of management and the etiology. The most common presenting complaints were pain in the groin and lower abdomen, and tendernedd over the symphysis pubis. Widening and osteolysis of the symphysis pubis were the most frequent radiological changes. Routine laboratory tests showed no abnormalities in any of our patients. Conservative treatment, consisting of avoidance of sporting activity, use of nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs, and physiotherapy, effected cure in 75% of our patients. Further management was needed in the remaining 25%. The disorder is relatively common among Saudi football players, with trauma the likely cause. Conservative treatment is successful in most patients.