Sedative, hypnotic, anxiolytic and opioid medicament use and its co-occurrence with tobacco smoking and alcohol risk drinking in a community sample

BMC Public Health. 2007 Nov 20;7:337. doi: 10.1186/1471-2458-7-337.

Abstract

Background: Sedative, hypnotic, anxiolytic and opioid medicament (SO) use and its relation to tobacco smoking and alcohol risk drinking is largely unknown. Prevalence data for SO intake and its co-occurrence with tobacco smoking and alcohol risk drinking considering age are presented.

Methods: Random general population sample of individuals aged 20-79 drawn from a mixed rural and urban area in Germany (Study of Health in Pomerania, SHIP). All medicament intake during the past 7 days prior to the interview was assessed according to the Anatomical Therapeutic Chemical classification as part of an interview conducted in a health examination center.

Results: Among men, 3.0%, and among women 5.0% took SO. The proportion of SO users was higher (odds ratio 1.9; 95% confidence interval 1.1-3.4) whereas the proportions of current cigarette smokers and alcohol risk drinkers without SO use were lower among individuals aged 60-79 compared to those aged 20-39. The proportion of individuals with smoking, alcohol risk drinking or SO use was also lower among those aged 60-79 compared to the 20-39 year olds.

Conclusion: Although proportions of SO users in older adult age are higher than in younger adult age there are less subjects with any of the 3 substance use behaviors at older adult age compared to age 20-39.

Publication types

  • Comparative Study
  • Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't

MeSH terms

  • Adult
  • Age Distribution
  • Aged
  • Alcohol Drinking / epidemiology*
  • Alcohol Drinking / psychology
  • Analgesics, Opioid / therapeutic use*
  • Anti-Anxiety Agents / therapeutic use*
  • Drug Utilization / statistics & numerical data*
  • Female
  • Germany / epidemiology
  • Humans
  • Hypnotics and Sedatives / therapeutic use*
  • Male
  • Middle Aged
  • Prevalence
  • Residence Characteristics
  • Risk-Taking
  • Rural Population / statistics & numerical data
  • Smoking / epidemiology*
  • Smoking / psychology
  • Surveys and Questionnaires
  • Urban Population / statistics & numerical data

Substances

  • Analgesics, Opioid
  • Anti-Anxiety Agents
  • Hypnotics and Sedatives