A survey of nurses' attitudes towards single administration of medicines

Nurs Pract. 1991;4(3):20-3.


This small survey, undertaken in one district health authority, sought the opinions of registered and enrolled nurses, regarding a single nurse taking total responsibility for the administration of medicines. Just over half of the trained nurses (58 percent) considered they should be able to administer medicines to patients on their own and were willing to do so. The remainder (42 percent) were opposed and concerned about the potential dangers of not having drugs double checked.

MeSH terms

  • Humans
  • Nursing Staff*
  • Pharmaceutical Preparations / administration & dosage*
  • Surveys and Questionnaires


  • Pharmaceutical Preparations