Conservative management of patients with early endometrial carcinoma: a systematic review

Clin Transl Oncol. 2008 Mar;10(3):155-62. doi: 10.1007/s12094-008-0173-1.


Objective: To know the characteristics of endometrial adenocarcinoma in young patients and to review the published experience in patients with endometrial adenocarcinoma that were conservatively managed with hormonal therapy to spare their fertility.

Methods: We carried out a search in the Survey conducted by the Section of Oncologic Gynecology of SEGO (Spanish Society of Gynecologists) to identify the characteristics of young patients with endometrial adenocarcinoma. In addition we searched MEDLINE and other databases for English-language articles describing patients with endometrial adenocarcinoma who were treated with hormonal therapy. The search included articles published between January 1966 and January 2007.

Results: Endometrial carcinoma in patients under 45 years old is an unusual condition that shows a more favourable pattern than in older patients. One hundred and thirty-three patients were found in the search. The average duration of hormonal therapy was approximately six months. The average response time was 12 weeks; 76% of patients treated with hormonal therapy had a complete response and the other 24% never responded to treatment. Of those who initially responded, 66% percent did not show recurrence of disease. The other 34% had a relapse. There have been 4 published deaths of conservatively managed patients.

Conclusion: A conservative approach in these patients can offer reasonable oncological security and the opportunity of fulfilling their maternal desires in selected cases. However, consideration should be taken regarding the potential adverse outcomes that have been recently published in the literature.

Publication types

  • Review
  • Systematic Review

MeSH terms

  • Adenocarcinoma / drug therapy*
  • Adenocarcinoma / pathology
  • Antineoplastic Agents, Hormonal / therapeutic use*
  • Endometrial Neoplasms / drug therapy*
  • Endometrial Neoplasms / pathology
  • Female
  • Fertility
  • Humans
  • Pregnancy
  • Pregnancy Outcome


  • Antineoplastic Agents, Hormonal