Analysis of the clinical efficacy of intravitreal bevacizumab in the treatment of iris neovascularization caused by proliferative diabetic retinopathy

Acta Ophthalmol. 2009 Nov;87(7):736-40. doi: 10.1111/j.1755-3768.2008.01353.x. Epub 2008 Sep 18.


Purpose: To evaluate the therapeutic effect of intravitreal bevacizumab (Avastin) (IVB) in the treatment of iris neovascularization (INV) in proliferative diabetic retinopathy (PDR).

Methods: A retrospective analysis on data collected from 28 eyes of 22 patients with PDR was performed. The analysis included grading of INV, visual acuity (VA) and intraocular pressure (IOP) prior to and after IVB treatment.

Results: Significant regression was noted in 20 eyes (71.4%); six eyes (21.4%) showed partial regression; no change or worsening was observed in two eyes (7.2%). VA (measured with a Snellen acuity chart) improved in five eyes (17.9%) while the remaining 23 eyes (82.1%) had no improvement. In the 11 eyes with preoperative neovascular glaucoma, IOP decreased in 10 eyes (91%) and increased in one eye (9%) after treatment.

Conclusion: IVB treatment of INV in PDR patients shows a promising short-term result. Further studies are needed to evaluate long-term results.

Publication types

  • Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't

MeSH terms

  • Adult
  • Aged
  • Aged, 80 and over
  • Angiogenesis Inhibitors / administration & dosage*
  • Antibodies, Monoclonal / administration & dosage*
  • Antibodies, Monoclonal, Humanized
  • Bevacizumab
  • Diabetic Retinopathy / complications*
  • Female
  • Humans
  • Injections
  • Intraocular Pressure / physiology
  • Iris / blood supply*
  • Male
  • Middle Aged
  • Neovascularization, Pathologic / drug therapy*
  • Neovascularization, Pathologic / etiology
  • Retrospective Studies
  • Treatment Outcome
  • Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor A / antagonists & inhibitors*
  • Visual Acuity / physiology
  • Vitreous Body
  • Young Adult


  • Angiogenesis Inhibitors
  • Antibodies, Monoclonal
  • Antibodies, Monoclonal, Humanized
  • VEGFA protein, human
  • Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor A
  • Bevacizumab