Pneumatic retinopexy. A two-year follow-up study of the multicenter clinical trial comparing pneumatic retinopexy with scleral buckling

Ophthalmology. 1991 Jul;98(7):1115-23.


The authors report 2-year follow-up information on 179 of 198 eyes (90%) enrolled in a previously published multicenter, randomized, controlled clinical trial comparing pneumatic retinopexy (PR) with scleral buckling (SB) for the management of selected retinal detachments. Scleral buckling was compared with PR with regard to redetachment after the initial 6-month follow-up period (1% versus 1%), overall attachment (98% versus 99%), subsequent cataract surgery (18% versus 4%; P less than 0.05), preoperative visual acuity (no significant difference), and final visual acuity of 20/50 or better in eyes with macular detachment for a period of 14 days or less (67% versus 89%; P less than or equal to 0.05). Reoperations after a failed PR attempt did not adversely affect visual outcome. After 2 years, PR continues to compare favorably with SB.

Publication types

  • Clinical Trial
  • Comparative Study
  • Multicenter Study
  • Randomized Controlled Trial

MeSH terms

  • Cataract Extraction
  • Follow-Up Studies
  • Humans
  • Postoperative Complications
  • Prognosis
  • Reoperation
  • Retinal Detachment / surgery*
  • Scleral Buckling*
  • Visual Acuity