[POL-TAVI First--Polish report on transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI) of Edwards-Sapien prosthesis in the first 19 high risk patients with severe aortic stenosis and comorbidities]

Kardiol Pol. 2009 Aug;67(8):936-40.
[Article in Polish]


Patients with severe symptomatic aortic stenosis, who from November 2008 to March 2009 were treated with Edwards-Sapien transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI) within the POL-TAVI First Polish Registry, were included in the analysis. Nineteen patients aged 78+/-4.8 years with high operation risk and Logistic EuroSCORE 25+/-7.6% were reported (74% were females). In 15 (79%) patients the valve was implanted transapically (TA), in the other four (21%)--via the femoral arterial access (TF). The valve was successfully implanted in 16 (84%) patients, in one patient aortic valvuloplasty alone was performed. During in-hospital period two patients died (one during periprocedural period and another one--two months after the implantation). During the mean follow-up of 5+/-1.5 months (except for one patient who is still in hospital) all patients are in NYHA class I or II. Results of the initial series of 19 TAVI patients in Poland are satisfactory, and the trial will be continued with careful medical and economical analysis.

Publication types

  • Evaluation Study

MeSH terms

  • Aged
  • Aged, 80 and over
  • Aortic Valve / surgery
  • Aortic Valve Stenosis / surgery*
  • Aortography / methods
  • Cardiac Catheterization / methods*
  • Coronary Angiography / methods
  • Female
  • Follow-Up Studies
  • Heart Valve Prosthesis Implantation / methods*
  • Heart Valve Prosthesis*
  • Humans
  • Male
  • Prognosis
  • Prosthesis Design
  • Retrospective Studies
  • Severity of Illness Index
  • Subclavian Artery / surgery*
  • Treatment Outcome