The platelet-activating factor (PAF) signaling cascade evolved as a component of the repertoire of innate host defenses, but is also an effector pathway in inflammatory and thrombotic diseases. This review focuses on the PAF signaling cascade in systemic inflammatory responses and, specifically, explores its activities in experimental and clinical sepsis and anaphylaxis in the context of the basic biochemistry and biology of signaling via this lipid mediator system.
Copyright 2010 Elsevier Masson SAS. All rights reserved.
The platelet-activating factor signaling system and its regulators in syndromes of inflammation and thrombosis.Crit Care Med. 2002 May;30(5 Suppl):S294-301. doi: 10.1097/00003246-200205001-00020. Crit Care Med. 2002. PMID: 12004251 Review.
Current Understanding of Platelet-Activating Factor Signaling in Central Nervous System Diseases.Mol Neurobiol. 2017 Sep;54(7):5563-5572. doi: 10.1007/s12035-016-0062-5. Epub 2016 Sep 9. Mol Neurobiol. 2017. PMID: 27613281 Review.
Platelets in the immune response: Revisiting platelet-activating factor in anaphylaxis.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2015 Jun;135(6):1424-32. doi: 10.1016/j.jaci.2015.04.019. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2015. PMID: 26051949
A platelet-activating factor (PAF) receptor deficiency exacerbates diet-induced obesity but PAF/PAF receptor signaling does not contribute to the development of obesity-induced chronic inflammation.Biochem Pharmacol. 2015 Feb 15;93(4):482-95. doi: 10.1016/j.bcp.2014.12.022. Epub 2015 Jan 8. Biochem Pharmacol. 2015. PMID: 25577975
Rapid production of platelet-activating factor is induced by protein kinase Cα-mediated phosphorylation of lysophosphatidylcholine acyltransferase 2 protein.J Biol Chem. 2014 May 30;289(22):15566-76. doi: 10.1074/jbc.M114.558874. Epub 2014 Apr 17. J Biol Chem. 2014. PMID: 24742674 Free PMC article.
Cited by 47 articles
Forty Years Since the Structural Elucidation of Platelet-Activating Factor (PAF): Historical, Current, and Future Research Perspectives.Molecules. 2019 Dec 3;24(23):4414. doi: 10.3390/molecules24234414. Molecules. 2019. PMID: 31816871 Free PMC article. Review.
Platelet-activating factor (PAF) mediates NLRP3-NEK7 inflammasome induction independently of PAFR.J Exp Med. 2019 Dec 2;216(12):2838-2853. doi: 10.1084/jem.20190111. Epub 2019 Sep 26. J Exp Med. 2019. PMID: 31558613
Interleukin 6 receptor alpha expression in PMNs isolated from prematurely born neonates: decreased expression is associated with differential mTOR signaling.Pediatr Res. 2019 Jul;86(1):55-62. doi: 10.1038/s41390-019-0388-6. Epub 2019 Apr 9. Pediatr Res. 2019. PMID: 30965356 Free PMC article.
Degradation Characteristics of a Novel PAF Receptor Antagonist, SY0916, in Aqueous Solution.J Anal Methods Chem. 2019 Jan 14;2019:8789470. doi: 10.1155/2019/8789470. eCollection 2019. J Anal Methods Chem. 2019. PMID: 30766739 Free PMC article.
The Potential Role of Dietary Platelet-Activating Factor Inhibitors in Cancer Prevention and Treatment.Adv Nutr. 2019 Jan 1;10(1):148-164. doi: 10.1093/advances/nmy090. Adv Nutr. 2019. PMID: 30721934 Free PMC article.
- R01 HL044525-13/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS/United States
- R37 HL044525-19/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS/United States
- P50 HL050153-100002/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS/United States
- R37 HL044525-18/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS/United States
- P50 HL050153-099002/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS/United States
- P50 HL050153-050002/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS/United States
- P50 HL050153-090002/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS/United States
- P50 HL050153-109002/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS/United States
- K08 HD049699/HD/NICHD NIH HHS/United States
- R01 HL091754/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS/United States
- P50 HL050153-060002/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS/United States
- P50 HL050153-069002/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS/United States
- P50 HL050153-089002/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS/United States
- R37 HL044525/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS/United States
- R01 HL044525-11/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS/United States
- T32 HL007636/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS/United States
- P50 HL050153-070002/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS/United States
- P50 HL050153-080002/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS/United States
- P50 HL050153-079002/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS/United States
- R01 HL044525/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS/United States
- R37 HL044525-20/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS/United States
- T32 HL007636-15/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS/United States
- R01 HL044525-12/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS/United States
- R01 HL044525-14/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS/United States
- P50 HL050153-040002/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS/United States
- R01 HL044525-10/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS/United States