Genome-wide Gene Expression Changes in Genetically Stable Synthetic and Natural Wheat Allohexaploids

New Phytol. 2010 Sep;187(4):1181-94. doi: 10.1111/j.1469-8137.2010.03339.x. Epub 2010 Jun 25.


*The present study aims to understand regulation of gene expression in synthetic and natural wheat (Triticum aestivum) allohexaploids, that combines the AB genome of Triticum turgidum and the D genome of Aegilops tauschii; and which we have recently characterized as genetically stable. *We conducted a comprehensive genome-wide analysis of gene expression that allowed characterization of the effect of variability of the D genome progenitor, the intergenerational stability as well as the comparison with natural wheat allohexaploid. We used the Affymetrix GeneChip Wheat Genome Array, on which 55 049 transcripts are represented. *Additive expression was shown to represent the majority of expression regulation in the synthetic allohexaploids, where expression for more than c. 93% of transcripts was equal to the mid-parent value measured from a mixture of parental RNA. This leaves c. 2000 (c. 7%) transcripts, in which expression was nonadditive. No global gene expression bias or dominance towards any of the progenitor genomes was observed whereas high intergenerational stability and low effect of the D genome progenitor variability were revealed. *Our study suggests that gene expression regulation in wheat allohexaploids is established early upon allohexaploidization and highly conserved over generations, as demonstrated by the high similarity of expression with natural wheat allohexaploids.

Publication types

  • Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't

MeSH terms

  • Gene Expression Regulation, Plant*
  • Gene Expression*
  • Genetic Variation
  • Genome, Plant*
  • Poaceae / genetics*
  • Polyploidy*
  • RNA, Plant
  • Triticum / genetics*


  • RNA, Plant