Skip to main page content
Access keys NCBI Homepage MyNCBI Homepage Main Content Main Navigation
, 39 (Database issue), D58-65

UKPMC: A Full Text Article Resource for the Life Sciences

Affiliations

UKPMC: A Full Text Article Resource for the Life Sciences

Johanna R McEntyre et al. Nucleic Acids Res.

Abstract

UK PubMed Central (UKPMC) is a full-text article database that extends the functionality of the original PubMed Central (PMC) repository. The UKPMC project was launched as the first 'mirror' site to PMC, which in analogy to the International Nucleotide Sequence Database Collaboration, aims to provide international preservation of the open and free-access biomedical literature. UKPMC (http://ukpmc.ac.uk) has undergone considerable development since its inception in 2007 and now includes both a UKPMC and PubMed search, as well as access to other records such as Agricola, Patents and recent biomedical theses. UKPMC also differs from PubMed/PMC in that the full text and abstract information can be searched in an integrated manner from one input box. Furthermore, UKPMC contains 'Cited By' information as an alternative way to navigate the literature and has incorporated text-mining approaches to semantically enrich content and integrate it with related database resources. Finally, UKPMC also offers added-value services (UKPMC+) that enable grantees to deposit manuscripts, link papers to grants, publish online portfolios and view citation information on their papers. Here we describe UKPMC and clarify the relationship between PMC and UKPMC, providing historical context and future directions, 10 years on from when PMC was first launched.

Figures

Figure 1.
Figure 1.
Timeline of PMC USA, UKPMC and PMC Canada availability and related funding agency public access policies.
Figure 2.
Figure 2.
Overview of PMCI and specifically UKPMC services. The red nodes indicate areas in which UKPMC has extended the core PMCI installation, aside from the contribution of content.
Figure 3.
Figure 3.
Content profile of PMC and UKPMC. This demonstrates that ∼90% of PMC content is made available to UKPMC. Roughly 60% of all articles are from digitized back issues; these represent the bulk (∼80%) of the content not available in UKPMC. The proportion of content available as XML is increasing as the database grows, being the standard format for active deposition of new articles. The Open Access articles make up almost 10% of the total content; over 90% of these are available as XML.
Figure 4.
Figure 4.
Some key features of the UKPMC website. (a) The abstract display has links to the full text, tabs that contain Citation, Bioentities and Related Articles information and a ‘highlight terms’ function on the abstract. (b) View of the citations tab, showing citing articles. (c) Extract from the Bioentities tab, showing mined gene/protein names, diseases and Accession numbers.
Figure 5.
Figure 5.
Key features of the Grant Reporting system unique to UKPMC+. After grants have been linked with published papers via the ‘Grant Reporting’ pages, the My UKPMC tab offers detailed reports on these relationships, along with citation information on the listed papers. (a) Grants Summary list, showing the number of papers associated with each grant. (b) Detailed listing of publications associated with a particular grant. Note that the articles also display other grants associated with the article. (c) The My Impact report. This shows the number of times each article has been cited in Web of Science and Scopus. The number of downloads from the UKPMC website are also reported.

Similar articles

See all similar articles

Cited by 18 PubMed Central articles

See all "Cited by" articles

References

    1. Roberts RJ. PubMed Central: The GenBank of the published literature. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA. 2001;98:381–382. - PMC - PubMed
    1. Walport M, Kiley R. Open access, UK PubMed Central and the Wellcome Trust. J. Roy. Soc. Med. 2006;99:438–439. - PMC - PubMed
    1. Kaminuma E, Mashima J, Kodama Y, Gojobori T, Ogasawara O, Okubo K, Takagi T, Nakamura Y. DDBJ launches a new archive database with analytical tools for next-generation sequence data. Nucleic Acids Res. 2010;38(Database issue):D33–D38. - PMC - PubMed
    1. Leinonen R, Akhtar R, Birney E, Bonfield J, Bower L, Corbett M, Cheng Y, Demiralp F, Faruque N, Goodgame N, et al. Improvements to services at the European Nucleotide Archive. Nucleic Acids Res. 2010;38(Database issue):D39–D45. - PMC - PubMed
    1. Benson DA, Karsch-Mizrachi I, Lipman DJ, Ostell J, Sayers EW. GenBank. Nuclear Acids Res. 2010;38(Database issue):D46–D51. - PMC - PubMed

Publication types

Feedback