Skip to main page content
Access keys NCBI Homepage MyNCBI Homepage Main Content Main Navigation
. 2011 Jun 1;107(11):1636-8.
doi: 10.1016/j.amjcard.2011.01.048. Epub 2011 Mar 23.

Prevalence of Vitamin D Deficiency in Patients With Acute Myocardial Infarction

Free PMC article

Prevalence of Vitamin D Deficiency in Patients With Acute Myocardial Infarction

John H Lee et al. Am J Cardiol. .
Free PMC article


Deficiency in 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25[OH]D) is a treatable condition that has been associated with coronary artery disease and many of its risk factors. A practical time to assess for 25(OH)D deficiency, and to initiate treatment, is at the time of an acute myocardial infarction. The prevalence of 25(OH)D deficiency and the characteristics associated with it in patients with acute myocardial infarction are unknown. In this study, 25(OH)D was assessed in 239 subjects enrolled in a 20-hospital prospective myocardial infarction registry. Patients enrolled from June 1 to December 31, 2008, had serum samples sent to a centralized laboratory for analysis using the DiaSorin 25(OH)D assay. Normal 25(OH)D levels are ≥30 ng/ml, and patients with levels <30 and >20 ng/ml were classified as insufficient and those with levels ≤20 ng/ml as deficient. Vitamin D levels and other baseline characteristics were analyzed with the linear or Mantel-Haenszel trend test. Of the 239 enrolled patients, 179 (75%) were 25(OH)D deficient and 50 (21%) were insufficient, for a total of 96% of patients with abnormally low 25(OH)D levels. No significant heterogeneity was observed among age or gender subgroups, but 25(OH)D deficiency was more commonly seen in non-Caucasian patients and those with lower social support, no insurance, diabetes, and lower activity levels. Higher parathyroid hormone levels (45.3 vs 32.7 pg/ml, p = 0.029) and body mass indexes (31.2 vs 29.0 kg/m(2), p = 0.025) were also observed in 25(OH)D-deficient subjects. In conclusion, vitamin D deficiency is present in almost all patients with acute myocardial infarction in a multicenter United States cohort.


Figure 1
Figure 1
Vitamin D levels in post-AMI patients.

Similar articles

See all similar articles

Cited by 38 articles

See all "Cited by" articles

Publication types