Purpose: To bring together information concerning the epidemiology and the economic and individual burdens of glaucoma.
Design: Interpretive essay.
Methods: Review and synthesis of selected literature published from 1991 through December 2010.
Results: An estimated 3% of the global population over 40 years of age currently has glaucoma, the majority of whom are undiagnosed. Vision loss from glaucoma has a significant impact on health-related quality of life even in the early stages of disease. The overall burden increases as glaucomatous damage and vision loss progress. The economic burden of glaucoma is significant and increases as the disease worsens.
Conclusions: Early identification and treatment of patients with glaucoma and those with ocular hypertension at high risk of developing vision loss are likely to reduce an individual's loss of health-related quality of life as well as the personal and societal economic burdens.
Copyright © 2011 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Modelling the lifetime economic consequences of glaucoma in France.J Med Econ. 2009 Mar;12(1):9-16. doi: 10.3111/13696990902728729. J Med Econ. 2009. PMID: 19450060
A multicenter, retrospective pilot study of resource use and costs associated with severity of disease in glaucoma.Arch Ophthalmol. 2006 Jan;124(1):12-9. doi: 10.1001/archopht.124.1.12. Arch Ophthalmol. 2006. PMID: 16401779 Clinical Trial.
[On the socio-economic relevance of glaucoma].Klin Monbl Augenheilkd. 2006 Oct;223(10):793-5. doi: 10.1055/s-2006-926689. Klin Monbl Augenheilkd. 2006. PMID: 17063419 German.
The economic burden of glaucoma and ocular hypertension: implications for patient management: a review.Drugs Aging. 2005;22(4):315-21. doi: 10.2165/00002512-200522040-00004. Drugs Aging. 2005. PMID: 15839720 Review.
Cost-effective evaluation of the glaucoma suspect.Curr Opin Ophthalmol. 2007 Mar;18(2):97-103. doi: 10.1097/ICU.0b013e328040bfcf. Curr Opin Ophthalmol. 2007. PMID: 17301609 Review.
Cited by 71 articles
Novel Means of Clinical Visual Function Testing among Glaucoma Patients, Including Virtual Reality.J Curr Glaucoma Pract. 2019 Sep-Dec;13(3):83-87. doi: 10.5005/jp-journals-10078-1265. J Curr Glaucoma Pract. 2019. PMID: 32431476 Free PMC article. Review.
Review of Longitudinal Glaucoma Progression: 5 Years after the Shaffer Lecture.Ophthalmol Glaucoma. 2020 Mar-Apr;3(2):158-166. doi: 10.1016/j.ogla.2019.11.012. Epub 2019 Dec 2. Ophthalmol Glaucoma. 2020. PMID: 32373782
Current Knowledge and Attitudes Concerning Cost-Effectiveness in Glaucoma Pharmacotherapy: A Glaucoma Specialists Focus Group Study.Clin Ophthalmol. 2020 Mar 6;14:729-739. doi: 10.2147/OPTH.S236030. eCollection 2020. Clin Ophthalmol. 2020. PMID: 32184559 Free PMC article.
Current applications of machine learning in the screening and diagnosis of glaucoma: a systematic review and Meta-analysis.Int J Ophthalmol. 2020 Jan 18;13(1):149-162. doi: 10.18240/ijo.2020.01.22. eCollection 2020. Int J Ophthalmol. 2020. PMID: 31956584 Free PMC article.
Comparisons of ganglion cell-inner plexiform layer loss patterns and its diagnostic performance between normal tension glaucoma and primary open angle glaucoma: a detailed, severity-based study.Int J Ophthalmol. 2020 Jan 18;13(1):71-78. doi: 10.18240/ijo.2020.01.11. eCollection 2020. Int J Ophthalmol. 2020. PMID: 31956573 Free PMC article.
- U10 EY011753-03S1/EY/NEI NIH HHS/United States
- U10 EY011753-03/EY/NEI NIH HHS/United States
- U10 EY011753-03S5/EY/NEI NIH HHS/United States
- U10 EY011753-04S1/EY/NEI NIH HHS/United States
- U10 EY011753-04/EY/NEI NIH HHS/United States
- U10 EY011753-11A1/EY/NEI NIH HHS/United States
- U10 EY011753-08S1/EY/NEI NIH HHS/United States
- U10 EY011753-09/EY/NEI NIH HHS/United States
- U10 EY011753-07S1/EY/NEI NIH HHS/United States
- U10 EY011753-03S3/EY/NEI NIH HHS/United States
- U10 EY011753-08/EY/NEI NIH HHS/United States
- U10 EY011753-12/EY/NEI NIH HHS/United States
- U10 EY011753-05/EY/NEI NIH HHS/United States
- U10 EY011753-03S2/EY/NEI NIH HHS/United States
- U10 EY011753-02/EY/NEI NIH HHS/United States
- U10 EY011753-06/EY/NEI NIH HHS/United States
- U10 EY011753-13/EY/NEI NIH HHS/United States
- U10 EY011753/EY/NEI NIH HHS/United States
- U10 EY011753-03S4/EY/NEI NIH HHS/United States
- U10 EY011753-07/EY/NEI NIH HHS/United States
- U10 EY011753-10/EY/NEI NIH HHS/United States