Cyanoacrylate glue in the treatment of corneal ulcerations

Fortschr Ophthalmol. 1990;87(4):378-81.


The application of tissue adhesives to treat different corneal diseases has been used extensively in recent years. Owing to the widespread application, it has been possible to establish the advantages and disadvantages of this method of treatment. Keeping in mind the disadvantages (primarily the toxicity of cyanoacrylate glue for the corneal endothelium and lens when it comes into direct contact with these structures), the application of cyanoacrylate glue was restricted to the treatment of progressive corneal ulcerations where the risk of corneal perforation was recognized. This method of treatment was applied in 30 patients with corneal melting in dry eye associated with rheumatoid arthritis (12), trophic postherpetic ulcerations of the cornea (9), chemical corneal burns (7), neurotrophic corneal ulceration (1) and Mooren's ulcer (1). The defect healed and anterior corneal surface epithelization occurred in 73.33% of patients in contrast to the additional treatment, most commonly penetrating keratoplasty, required in the remaining patients (26.67%).

MeSH terms

  • Corneal Ulcer / drug therapy*
  • Corneal Ulcer / physiopathology
  • Cyanoacrylates / administration & dosage*
  • Female
  • Humans
  • Male
  • Middle Aged
  • Tissue Adhesives / administration & dosage*
  • Wound Healing


  • Cyanoacrylates
  • Tissue Adhesives