Even without additional therapy, serum thyroglobulin concentrations often decline for years after total thyroidectomy and radioactive remnant ablation in patients with differentiated thyroid cancer

Thyroid. 2012 Aug;22(8):778-83. doi: 10.1089/thy.2011.0522. Epub 2012 Jul 10.


Background: Current management guidelines suggest that 6-12 months after total thyroidectomy and radioactive iodine remnant ablation (RAI-RA), patients with differentiated thyroid cancer should be re-evaluated with serum thyroglobulin (Tg) and neck ultrasonography to assess the efficacy of initial treatment and to guide subsequent management. However, if serum Tg levels can continue to decline for many years after RAI-RA, then an early assessment of response to therapy could lead to excessive evaluations and treatments in patients with low-level Tg values that are likely to resolve over time without additional therapies.

Methods: Serum Tg concentrations in patients with differentiated thyroid cancer, who had been thyroidectomized (Tx), received RAI-RA, and who were receiving levothyroxine to suppress serum thyrotropin (suppressed serum Tg), were retrospectively analyzed. The study included 299 patients, 69% of whom were women with an overall median age of 46 years and who had a median follow-up of 7 years. The study was limited to patients who received no additional treatments beyond total Tx, RAI-RA, and levothyroxine therapy to suppress thyrotropin. The primary endpoints were the time required to achieve the lowest Tg (nadir Tg) and the time required to achieve a suppressed serum Tg<1 ng/mL.

Results: The nadir -suppressed serum Tg was achieved by 6 months in 58% of the patients and by 12 months in 75% of the patients. The remaining 25% of patients required 18 months or longer to reach the nadir Tg. However, in the subgroup of patients that eventually reached a nadir suppressed serum Tg<1 ng/mL (n=223 patients), this goal was achieved by 6 months in 81%, by no more than 12 months in 91%, and by no more than 18 months in 94%. In patients with a 6-month suppressed serum Tg of 1-5 ng/mL, 54% eventually developed a suppressed serum Tg of <1 ng/mL without additional therapy.

Conclusions: In patients selected for continued observation, serum Tg levels often continue to decline for several years after total Tx and RAI-RA. While a 6-12-month assessment of the response to initial therapy is useful in patient management, strong consideration should be given to continued observation without additional therapy in patients with well-differentiated thyroid cancer who have 6-month suppressed serum Tg values of 1-5 ng/mL without a structurally identifiable disease.

MeSH terms

  • Adult
  • Female
  • Humans
  • Iodine Radioisotopes / therapeutic use
  • Male
  • Middle Aged
  • Retrospective Studies
  • Thyroglobulin / blood*
  • Thyroid Neoplasms / blood*
  • Thyroid Neoplasms / radiotherapy
  • Thyroid Neoplasms / surgery
  • Thyroidectomy


  • Iodine Radioisotopes
  • Thyroglobulin