[Initial situation and approach to the care of migraine in neurology services in Spain: the PRIMERA study]

Rev Neurol. 2012 Nov 16;55(10):577-84.
[Article in Spanish]

Abstract

Introduction: Despite the high degree of disability it entails, many patients with migraine have never visited their doctor for this reason. It is necessary to conduct a study to examine the characteristics of first-time visits as a step that must be carried out prior to establishing specific intervention measures for this group of patients.

Aim: To determine the profile of the patients with migraine who visit a neurology service for the first time, together with the diagnostic and therapeutic attitudes that neurologists display towards them.

Patients and methods: We conducted a cross-sectional, multi-centre study of neurology services across the country. The research included 168 neurologists who recruited 851 patients (74.6% females; mean age: 34.0 ± 10.7 years). Disability was assessed by means of the specific migraine questionnaire (Headache Impact Test) and the generic disability questionnaire (Sheehan Disability Scale).

Results: A third (66.5%) of the patients went for consultation following their doctor's advice, while the remaining 33.5% went on their own accord. Only 55.9% had been previously diagnosed with migraine. The main reasons for visiting were ineffective symptomatic treatment (25%) and an increase in the frequency or intensity of the attacks (23.4%). Although 70.3% of the patients had high disability scores on the Headache Impact Test, only 17.4% used specific treatment and only 13.3% were on preventive treatment.

Conclusions: The PRIMERA study confirms, once again, that migraine is an under-diagnosed and under-treated condition in our setting, which means that specific educational interventions and training are still required for this pathology.

Publication types

  • English Abstract
  • Multicenter Study

MeSH terms

  • Adult
  • Attitude of Health Personnel*
  • Cross-Sectional Studies
  • Female
  • Humans
  • Male
  • Migraine Disorders / diagnosis*
  • Migraine Disorders / therapy*
  • Neurology*
  • Patient Acceptance of Health Care
  • Practice Patterns, Physicians'*
  • Spain