Benefits of catch-up in vaccination against human papillomavirus in medium- and low-income countries

Int J Cancer. 2013 Oct 15;133(8):1876-81. doi: 10.1002/ijc.28197. Epub 2013 May 15.


Human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccination of a birth cohort of girls in the 9-13 age range is recommended as a priority, but decreases in HPV vaccine cost may make catch-up of a few additional cohorts more attractive not only in high-income countries. We assessed the reduction in HPV16 and 18 infections that could be achieved in a medium- (Poland) and a low-income (Guinea) country by adding one-time catch-up of 12- to 19-year-old girls to the vaccination of 11-year-old girls. According to our ad hoc adapted dynamic model of HPV infection transmission, the addition of catch-up was estimated to bring forward the 50% reduction of HPV16/18 prevalence due to vaccination in women ≤35 by as much as 5 years. Catch-up of 12- to 15-year olds reduced the cumulative probability of HPV16/18 infections by age 35 in the relevant cohorts by about 30% in both countries. Catch-up of 16- to 19-year-old girls added little. Regardless of the chosen catch-up strategy, 16 to 20% of HPV16/18 prevention from vaccination was attributable to herd immunity. Assuming a sufficiently low vaccine cost, the addition of a catch-up round is, therefore, worth considering in medium/low-income countries to extend vaccine benefits to less young adolescent girls whose future access to cervical screening is uncertain.

Keywords: HPV vaccination; adolescent girls; catch-up.

Publication types

  • Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't

MeSH terms

  • Adolescent
  • Age Factors
  • Child
  • Cost-Benefit Analysis
  • Developed Countries / economics
  • Developing Countries / economics
  • Female
  • Guinea / epidemiology
  • Human papillomavirus 16 / immunology
  • Human papillomavirus 18 / immunology
  • Humans
  • Mass Vaccination
  • Papillomavirus Infections / epidemiology
  • Papillomavirus Infections / immunology
  • Papillomavirus Infections / prevention & control*
  • Papillomavirus Infections / transmission
  • Papillomavirus Vaccines* / administration & dosage
  • Papillomavirus Vaccines* / economics
  • Papillomavirus Vaccines* / immunology
  • Poland / epidemiology
  • Prevalence
  • Uterine Cervical Neoplasms / epidemiology*
  • Uterine Cervical Neoplasms / prevention & control*
  • Vaccination / economics
  • Young Adult


  • Papillomavirus Vaccines