Skip to main page content
Access keys NCBI Homepage MyNCBI Homepage Main Content Main Navigation
, 30 (3), 166-71

Sexual Behavior of the Elderly in Urban Areas

Affiliations

Sexual Behavior of the Elderly in Urban Areas

Hyun Cheol Jeong et al. World J Mens Health.

Abstract

Purpose: This study aimed at investigating sexual behavior patterns of elderly residents of urban areas in South Korea and their correlation with lower urinary tract symptoms.

Materials and methods: From May, 2009 to October, 2009, 154 males and 299 females over 60 years old who visited senior welfare centers of Seoul were administered a questionnaire on sex life patterns and voiding symptoms.

Results: Among the 154 males, 59 (38.3%) had sexual intercourse at least one time per month. The remaining 95 males (61.7%) did not have sexual intercourse, because of impotence for 52 males (52.6%), no sexual desire for 28 males (29.4%), and sex partner's problems for 15 males (15.7%). The higher International Prostate Symptom Score was, the lower International Index of Erectile Dysfunction-5 was (p=0.035). Among 299 females, 37 (12.4%) had sexual intercourse at least one time per month. The remaining 262 females (87.6%) did not have sexual intercourse, because of no spouse for 163 females (63.2%), no sexual desire for 48 females (18.6%), the spouse's impotence for 34 females (13.2%), and the spouse's bad health for 10 females (3.9%). It was found that self-diagnosis of overactive bladder affects sex life negatively.

Conclusions: The sexual behaviors of the elderly included varying activity. Sexual intercourse were significantly associated with lower urinary tract symptoms. Our results suggest that the counseling with the elderly about sexual health is as important as it is with non-elderly individuals.

Keywords: Aged; Lower urinary tract symptoms; Sexual behavior.

Figures

Fig. 1
Fig. 1
Bar graph of rates of sexual activity by age group.
Fig. 2
Fig. 2
Scatter plot of the correlation of International Prostate Symptom Score (IPSS) and International Index of Erectile Dysfunction (IIEF) in males (R2=-0.183, p=0.035).
Fig. 3
Fig. 3
Discomfort with sexual behavior in females who have sexual intercourse (n=37).

Similar articles

See all similar articles

Cited by 1 PubMed Central articles

References

    1. Gentili A, Mulligan T. Sexual dysfunction in older adults. Clin Geriatr Med. 1998;14:383–393. - PubMed
    1. Heiman JR, Meston CM. Evaluating sexual dysfunction in women. Clin Obstet Gynecol. 1997;40:616–629. - PubMed
    1. Purifoy FE, Grodsky A, Giambra LM. The relationship of sexual daydreaming to sexual activity, sexual drive, and sexual attitudes for women across the life-span. Arch Sex Behav. 1992;21:369–385. - PubMed
    1. Nicolosi A, Laumann EO, Glasser DB, Moreira ED, Jr, Paik A, Gingell C Global Study of Sexual Attitudes and Behaviors Investigators' Group. Sexual behavior and sexual dysfunctions after age 40: the global study of sexual attitudes and behaviors. Urology. 2004;64:991–997. - PubMed
    1. Moreira ED, Jr, Kim SC, Glasser D, Gingell C. Sexual activity, prevalence of sexual problems, and associated help-seeking patterns in men and women aged 40-80 years in Korea: data from the Global Study of Sexual Attitudes and Behaviors (GSSAB) J Sex Med. 2006;3:201–211. - PubMed

LinkOut - more resources

Feedback