Prevalence and factors predictive of long-acting reversible contraceptive use in a tertiary hospital in urban Ghana

Eur J Contracept Reprod Health Care. 2013 Aug;18(4):293-9. doi: 10.3109/13625187.2013.790951. Epub 2013 May 7.


Objective: To determine the prevalence, socio-demographic and reproductive factors associated with long-acting reversible contraceptive (LARC) use among clients resorting to reversible birth control methods in a tertiary hospital in Ghana.

Methods: Retrospective review of records of clients who opted for reversible family planning (FP) methods at Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital, Kumasi, Ghana, from 1 July 2003 to 30 June 2008. We recorded data on their contraceptive history, and socio-demographic- and reproductive characteristics. Categorical variables were compared using the χ(2) test and factors associated with LARC uptake examined by binomial regression with a log-link function to estimate relative risks (RRs) and 95% confidence intervals (CIs).

Results: Of 5946 clients who opted for reversible contraception, 71% chose LARCs, and the remaining 29% chose shorter-acting contraceptives. LARCs were employed mainly by women with more living children (p trend < 0.001) who had previously used LARCs (adjusted RR: 1.49; 95% CI: 1.39-1.60). Over half of non-contraceptive users started with LARCs while 27% of women switched from shorter-acting contraceptives to LARCs.

Conclusion: The prevalence of LARC uptake was much higher than the national average. Significant factors associated with current LARC use were the number of surviving children and previous LARC use.

MeSH terms

  • Adolescent
  • Adult
  • Contraception / methods*
  • Delayed-Action Preparations / therapeutic use
  • Drug Implants / therapeutic use*
  • Family Planning Services
  • Female
  • Ghana
  • Humans
  • Intrauterine Devices, Copper / statistics & numerical data*
  • Intrauterine Devices, Medicated / statistics & numerical data
  • Levonorgestrel / therapeutic use*
  • Medroxyprogesterone Acetate / therapeutic use*
  • Middle Aged
  • Parity
  • Regression Analysis
  • Retrospective Studies
  • Tertiary Care Centers
  • Urban Population / statistics & numerical data
  • Young Adult


  • Delayed-Action Preparations
  • Drug Implants
  • Levonorgestrel
  • Medroxyprogesterone Acetate