Introduction of staging laparoscopy in the management of advanced epithelial ovarian, tubal and peritoneal cancer: impact on prognosis in a single institution experience

Gynecol Oncol. 2013 Nov;131(2):341-6. doi: 10.1016/j.ygyno.2013.08.005. Epub 2013 Aug 9.


Objective: To evaluate the prognostic impact of routinely use of staging laparoscopy (S-LPS) in patients with primary advanced epithelial ovarian cancer (AEOC).

Methods: All women were submitted to S-LPS before receiving primary debulking surgery (PDS) or neoadjuvant treatment (NACT). The surgical and survival outcome were evaluated by univariate and multivariate analysis.

Results: Among 300 consecutive patients submitted to S-LPS no complications related to the surgical procedure were registered. The laparoscopic evaluation showed that almost half of the patients (46.3%) had a high tumor load. One-hundred forty-eight (49.3%) women were considered suitable for PDS and the remaining 152 (50.7%) were submitted to NACT. The percentages of complete (residual tumor, RT=0) and optimal (RT<1cm) cytoreduction of PDS and interval debulking surgery (IDS) were 62.1% and 57.5%, 22.5% and 27.7%, respectively, p=0.07. The post-operative complications of NACT/IDS group were lower than PDS group (p=0.01). The median progression free survival in women with RT=0 at PDS was 25 months (95% CI, 15.1-34.8), which was statistically significant longer than in all other patients, irrespective of the type of treatment they received (p=0.0001). At multivariate analysis, residual disease (p=0.011) and performance status (p=0.016) maintained an independent association with the PFS.

Conclusions: Including S-LPS in a tertiary referral center for the management AEOC does not appear to have a negative impact in terms of survival and it may be helpful to individualize the treatment avoiding unnecessary laparotomies and surgical complications.

Trial registration: NCT01461850.

Keywords: Carcinosis; Cytoreduction; Laparoscopy; Ovarian cancer.

MeSH terms

  • Adult
  • Aged
  • Aged, 80 and over
  • Algorithms
  • Carcinoma, Ovarian Epithelial
  • Chemotherapy, Adjuvant
  • Disease-Free Survival
  • Fallopian Tube Neoplasms / diagnosis*
  • Fallopian Tube Neoplasms / drug therapy
  • Fallopian Tube Neoplasms / pathology
  • Fallopian Tube Neoplasms / surgery
  • Female
  • Humans
  • Laparoscopy / methods
  • Middle Aged
  • Neoplasm Staging / methods
  • Neoplasms, Glandular and Epithelial / diagnosis*
  • Neoplasms, Glandular and Epithelial / drug therapy
  • Neoplasms, Glandular and Epithelial / pathology
  • Neoplasms, Glandular and Epithelial / surgery
  • Ovarian Neoplasms / diagnosis*
  • Ovarian Neoplasms / drug therapy
  • Ovarian Neoplasms / pathology
  • Ovarian Neoplasms / surgery
  • Peritoneal Neoplasms / diagnosis*
  • Peritoneal Neoplasms / drug therapy
  • Peritoneal Neoplasms / pathology
  • Peritoneal Neoplasms / surgery
  • Randomized Controlled Trials as Topic

Associated data