Introduction: This study aims to investigate the clinical significance of post-interventional cerebral hyperdensities (PCHD) after endovascular mechanical thrombectomy in acute ischaemic stroke.
Methods: Data of 102 consecutive patients who received post-interventional CT scans within 4.5 h after mechanical thrombectomy were analysed retrospectively.
Results: Sixty-two of 102 patients (60.8 %) had PCHD on their post-interventional CT scans. The most common site of PCHD was the basal ganglia. PCHD were persisting in 13 of 62 patients (21.0 %), and transient in the remaining 49 patients (79.0 %) within 24 h. Four patients with PCHD and four patients without PCHD suffered from parenchymal haemorrhage. Neither ASA nor Clopidogrel, Tirofiban or rtPA were risk factors for PCHD. Final infarction size was congruent with or bigger than areas of PCHD in 93.3 % of cases in our series.
Conclusion: PCHD was not a risk factor for parenchymal haemorrhage in our series. The occurrence of PCHD was strongly related to the prior presence of infarction. PCHD was also a strong predictor for final infarction size.