Fifty years have passed since publication of the landmark report of the Surgeon General’s Advisory Committee on smoking and health. This report highlights both the dramatic progress our nation has made reducing tobacco use and the continuing burden of disease and death caused by smoking.
- Message from Kathleen Sebelius
- Message from Howard Koh
- Introduction, Summary, and Conclusions
- Fifty Years of Change 1964–2014
- Producing the Surgeon General's Report From 1964–2014: Process and Purpose
- Advances in Knowledge of the Health Consequences of Smoking: From 1964–2014
- Respiratory Diseases
- Cardiovascular Diseases
- Reproductive Outcomes
- Other Specific Outcomes
- General Morbidity and All-Cause Mortality
- Smoking-Attributable Morbidity, Mortality, and Economic Costs
- Patterns of Tobacco Use Among U.S. Youth, Young Adults, and Adults
- Current Status of Tobacco Control
- The Changing Landscape of Tobacco Control–Current Status and Future Directions
- A Vision for Ending the Tobacco Epidemic: Toward a Society Free of Tobacco-caused Death and Disease
- List of Abbreviations
- Definitions and Alternative Nomenclature of Genetic Symbols Used in This Report
- Supplemental Evidence Tables
The 2014 Surgeon General's report: commemorating the 50th Anniversary of the 1964 Report of the Advisory Committee to the US Surgeon General and updating the evidence on the health consequences of cigarette smoking.Am J Epidemiol. 2014 Feb 15;179(4):403-12. doi: 10.1093/aje/kwt335. Epub 2014 Jan 15. Am J Epidemiol. 2014. PMID: 24436362 Free PMC article.
Borrowing from tobacco control to curtail the overweight and obesity epidemic: Leveraging the U.S. Surgeon General's Report.Prev Med. 2015 Nov;80:47-9. doi: 10.1016/j.ypmed.2014.12.021. Epub 2015 Jan 3. Prev Med. 2015. PMID: 25562755 Free PMC article.
Publication of Surgeon General's report on smoking and health.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2000 Aug 11;49(31):718, 727. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2000. PMID: 10958588
Reducing Tobacco-Related Cancer Incidence and Mortality: Workshop Summary.Washington (DC): National Academies Press (US); 2013 Apr 16. National Academies Press (US). 2013. PMID: 24901191 Free Books & Documents. Review.
The Surgeon General's 1989 Report on Reducing the Health Consequences of Smoking: 25 Years of Progress.MMWR Suppl. 1989 Mar 24;38(2):1-32. MMWR Suppl. 1989. PMID: 2494426 Review. No abstract available.