Purpose: To evaluate the safety and antitumor activity of docetaxel (DOC) and pegylated liposomal doxorubicin (PLD) combination in patients with platinum- and taxane-sensitive ovarian cancer.
Patients and methods: Twenty-three patients were enrolled. DOC was administered at the dose of 40 mg/m(2) intravenously (i.v.) and PLD at 20 mg/m(2) i.v. on days 1 and 15 in cycles of 28 days. The study was closed prematurely due to slow accrual.
Results: Seven (30.4 %) patients achieved objective response (three complete, four partial), while five (21.7 %) others experienced stable disease (overall disease control rate 52.1 %). The median progression-free survival was 4.8 months and the median overall survival 18.8 months. Grade 3-4 neutropenia occurred in two (8.7 %) and one (4.3 %) patients, respectively. Febrile neutropenia occurred in two patients. The most common non-hematological grade 3 toxicity was hand-foot syndrome (13 % of patients). There was no treatment-related death.
Conclusions: The combination of pegylated liposomal doxorubicin and docetaxel is a well tolerated and a relatively active regimen in pretreated patients with platinum- and taxane-sensitive advanced ovarian cancer.