How far have we come in the fight against AIDS since the Institute of Medicine released Confronting AIDS: Directions for Public Health, Health Care, and Research in 1986? This updated volume examines our progress in implementing the recommendations set forth in the first book. It also highlights new information and events that have given rise to the need for new directions in responding to this disease.
Copyright © 1988 by the National Academy of Sciences.
- Committee for the Oversight of AIDS Activities
- Executive Summary
- HIV Infection and Its Epidemiology
- Understanding the Course of the Epidemic
- Altering the Course of the Epidemic
- Care of Persons Infected with HIV
- The Biology of HIV and Biomedical Research Needs
- International Aspects of AIDS and HIV Infection
- A National Commission on HIV Infection and AIDS
- Appendix A Summary and Recommendations from Confronting AIDS: Directions for Public Health, Health Care, and Research
- Appendix B CDC Classification System for HIV Infections and Revised Case Definition for AIDS
- Appendix C Correspondents
- Appendix D Biographical Notes on Committee Members
Implementing the 2009 Institute of Medicine recommendations on resident physician work hours, supervision, and safety.Nat Sci Sleep. 2011 Jun 24;3:47-85. doi: 10.2147/NSS.S19649. Print 2011. Nat Sci Sleep. 2011. PMID: 23616719 Free PMC article.
To Err is Human: Building a Safer Health System.Washington (DC): National Academies Press (US); 2000. National Academies Press (US). 2000. PMID: 25077248 Free Books & Documents. Review.
The Institute of Medicine, National Academy of Sciences: formulating AIDS policy.Public Health Rep. 1988 May-Jun;103(3):289-92. Public Health Rep. 1988. PMID: 3131820 Free PMC article.
Clampdown on AIDS information in E. Africa.New Afr. 1986 Jan:9-10. New Afr. 1986. PMID: 12314088
Adverse Effects of Pertussis and Rubella Vaccines: A Report of the Committee to Review the Adverse Consequences of Pertussis and Rubella Vaccines.Washington (DC): National Academies Press (US); 1991. National Academies Press (US). 1991. PMID: 25121241 Free Books & Documents. Review.