We conducted a meta-analysis of Parkinson's disease genome-wide association studies using a common set of 7,893,274 variants across 13,708 cases and 95,282 controls. Twenty-six loci were identified as having genome-wide significant association; these and 6 additional previously reported loci were then tested in an independent set of 5,353 cases and 5,551 controls. Of the 32 tested SNPs, 24 replicated, including 6 newly identified loci. Conditional analyses within loci showed that four loci, including GBA, GAK-DGKQ, SNCA and the HLA region, contain a secondary independent risk variant. In total, we identified and replicated 28 independent risk variants for Parkinson's disease across 24 loci. Although the effect of each individual locus was small, risk profile analysis showed substantial cumulative risk in a comparison of the highest and lowest quintiles of genetic risk (odds ratio (OR) = 3.31, 95% confidence interval (CI) = 2.55-4.30; P = 2 × 10(-16)). We also show six risk loci associated with proximal gene expression or DNA methylation.
Conflict of interest statement
The authors declare no competing financial interests.
Imputation of sequence variants for identification of genetic risks for Parkinson's disease: a meta-analysis of genome-wide association studies.Lancet. 2011 Feb 19;377(9766):641-9. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(10)62345-8. Epub 2011 Feb 1. Lancet. 2011. PMID: 21292315 Free PMC article.
Meta-analysis of Parkinson's disease: identification of a novel locus, RIT2.Ann Neurol. 2012 Mar;71(3):370-84. doi: 10.1002/ana.22687. Ann Neurol. 2012. PMID: 22451204 Free PMC article.
Genome-wide association study identifies candidate genes for Parkinson's disease in an Ashkenazi Jewish population.BMC Med Genet. 2011 Aug 3;12:104. doi: 10.1186/1471-2350-12-104. BMC Med Genet. 2011. PMID: 21812969 Free PMC article.
Genome-wide association study of Parkinson's disease in East Asians.Hum Mol Genet. 2017 Jan 1;26(1):226-232. doi: 10.1093/hmg/ddw379. Hum Mol Genet. 2017. PMID: 28011712
Quantitative assessment of the association between GAK rs1564282 C/T polymorphism and the risk of Parkinson's disease.J Clin Neurosci. 2015 Jul;22(7):1077-80. doi: 10.1016/j.jocn.2014.12.014. Epub 2015 May 11. J Clin Neurosci. 2015. PMID: 25975492 Review.
Cited by 546 articles
Membrane trafficking in health and disease.Dis Model Mech. 2020 Apr 30;13(4):dmm043448. doi: 10.1242/dmm.043448. Dis Model Mech. 2020. PMID: 32433026 Free PMC article. Review.
Assessment of Genetic Association Between Parkinson Disease and Bipolar Disorder.JAMA Neurol. 2020 May 11:e200248. doi: 10.1001/jamaneurol.2020.0248. Online ahead of print. JAMA Neurol. 2020. PMID: 32391853
Modeling Parkinson's Disease With the Alpha-Synuclein Protein.Front Pharmacol. 2020 Apr 23;11:356. doi: 10.3389/fphar.2020.00356. eCollection 2020. Front Pharmacol. 2020. PMID: 32390826 Free PMC article. Review.
Genetic perspective on the synergistic connection between vesicular transport, lysosomal and mitochondrial pathways associated with Parkinson's disease pathogenesis.Acta Neuropathol Commun. 2020 May 6;8(1):63. doi: 10.1186/s40478-020-00935-4. Acta Neuropathol Commun. 2020. PMID: 32375870 Free PMC article. Review.
Genetic predispositions of Parkinson's disease revealed in patient-derived brain cells.NPJ Parkinsons Dis. 2020 Apr 24;6:8. doi: 10.1038/s41531-020-0110-8. eCollection 2020. NPJ Parkinsons Dis. 2020. PMID: 32352027 Free PMC article. Review.
- G0901254/MRC_/Medical Research Council/United Kingdom
- J-0804/PUK_/Parkinson's UK/United Kingdom
- G0701075/MRC_/Medical Research Council/United Kingdom
- G1100643/MRC_/Medical Research Council/United Kingdom
- MR/L016400/1/MRC_/Medical Research Council/United Kingdom
- WT089698/Z/09/Z/WT_/Wellcome Trust/United Kingdom
- G-0909/PUK_/Parkinson's UK/United Kingdom
- NS036630/NS/NINDS NIH HHS/United States
- G0802760/MRC_/Medical Research Council/United Kingdom
- R01CA141668/CA/NCI NIH HHS/United States
- AG025259/AG/NIA NIH HHS/United States
- G0802462/MRC_/Medical Research Council/United Kingdom
- UL1TR000124/TR/NCATS NIH HHS/United States
- NS060113/NS/NINDS NIH HHS/United States
- Z01 AG000949-03/ImNIH/Intramural NIH HHS/United States
- NS050487/NS/NINDS NIH HHS/United States
- R01 HL120393/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS/United States
- U01 NS082151/NS/NINDS NIH HHS/United States
- G-0907/PUK_/Parkinson's UK/United Kingdom
- U24 AG021886/AG/NIA NIH HHS/United States
- F-1202/PUK_/Parkinson's UK/United Kingdom
- 083948/Z/07/Z/WT_/Wellcome Trust/United Kingdom
- 1K23NS070867/NS/NINDS NIH HHS/United States
- MC_G0901330/MRC_/Medical Research Council/United Kingdom
- G1001253/MRC_/Medical Research Council/United Kingdom
- G0700943/MRC_/Medical Research Council/United Kingdom
- U24 AG056270/AG/NIA NIH HHS/United States
- AG033193/AG/NIA NIH HHS/United States
- 076113/WT_/Wellcome Trust/United Kingdom
- UL1 TR000124/TR/NCATS NIH HHS/United States
- G108/638/MRC_/Medical Research Council/United Kingdom
- MC_G1000735/MRC_/Medical Research Council/United Kingdom
- R01 NS075321/NS/NINDS NIH HHS/United States
- NS17950/NS/NINDS NIH HHS/United States
- UL1 TR001108/TR/NCATS NIH HHS/United States
- K02 NS073836/NS/NINDS NIH HHS/United States
- MR/L501554/1/MRC_/Medical Research Council/United Kingdom
- AG08122/AG/NIA NIH HHS/United States
- 089698/WT_/Wellcome Trust/United Kingdom
- R01 NS088538/NS/NINDS NIH HHS/United States
- Z01 AG000932-01/ImNIH/Intramural NIH HHS/United States
- P30AG013846/AG/NIA NIH HHS/United States
- R01NS037167/NS/NINDS NIH HHS/United States
- 1KL2RR024154/RR/NCRR NIH HHS/United States
- 2UL1 RR024156/RR/NCRR NIH HHS/United States
- R01 AG041797/AG/NIA NIH HHS/United States
- MR/J004758/1/MRC_/Medical Research Council/United Kingdom
- AG031287/AG/NIA NIH HHS/United States
- G1100479/MRC_/Medical Research Council/United Kingdom
- P30AG024826/AG/NIA NIH HHS/United States
- P50 NS038377/NS/NINDS NIH HHS/United States
- DK063491/DK/NIDDK NIH HHS/United States
- AG16495/AG/NIA NIH HHS/United States
- 085475/WT_/Wellcome Trust/United Kingdom
- 090355/WT_/Wellcome Trust/United Kingdom
- R01-NS-36960/NS/NINDS NIH HHS/United States
- MR/L010305/1/MRC_/Medical Research Council/United Kingdom
- R44 HG006981/HG/NHGRI NIH HHS/United States
- AG023629/AG/NIA NIH HHS/United States
- MC_PC_09003/MRC_/Medical Research Council/United Kingdom
- P50 NS071674/NS/NINDS NIH HHS/United States
- R01 NS076843/NS/NINDS NIH HHS/United States
- P50NS071674/NS/NINDS NIH HHS/United States