Cytoreductive surgery and intraperitoneal chemotherapy for colorectal peritoneal metastases

World J Gastroenterol. 2014 Oct 14;20(38):14018-32. doi: 10.3748/wjg.v20.i38.14018.


Aim: To systematically review the available evidence regarding cytoreductive surgery (CRS) and intraperitoneal chemotherapy (IPC) for colorectal peritoneal metastases (CPM).

Methods: An electronic literature search was carried out to identify publications reporting oncological outcome data (overall survival and/or disease free survival and/or recurrence rates) following CRS and IPC for treatment of CPM. Studies reporting outcomes following CRS and IPC for cancer subtypes other than colorectal were only included if data were reported independently for colorectal cancer-associated cases; in addition studies reporting outcomes for peritoneal carcinomatosis of appendiceal origin were excluded.

Results: Twenty seven studies, published between 1999 and 2013 with a combined population of 2838 patients met the predefined inclusion criteria. Included studies comprised 21 case series, 5 case-control studies and 1 randomised controlled trial. Four studies provided comparative oncological outcome data for patients undergoing CRS in combination with IPC vs systemic chemotherapy alone. The primary indication for treatment was CPM in 96% of cases (2714/2838) and recurrent CPM (rCPM) in the remaining 4% (124/2838). In the majority of included studies (20/27) CRS was combined with hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC). In 3 studies HIPEC was used in combination with early post-operative intraperitoneal chemotherapy (EPIC), and 2 studies used EPIC only, following CRS. Two studies evaluated comparative outcomes with CRS + HIPEC vs CRS + EPIC for treatment of CPM. The delivery of IPC was performed using an "open" or "closed" abdomen approach in the included studies.

Conclusion: The available evidence presented in this review indicates that enhanced survival times can be achieved for CPM after combined treatment with CRS and IPC.

Keywords: Colorectal cancer; Cytoreductive surgery; Hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy; Intraperitoneal chemotherapy; Peritoneal metastasis.

Publication types

  • Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't
  • Review

MeSH terms

  • Antineoplastic Agents / administration & dosage*
  • Antineoplastic Agents / adverse effects
  • Chemotherapy, Adjuvant
  • Chemotherapy, Cancer, Regional Perfusion* / adverse effects
  • Chemotherapy, Cancer, Regional Perfusion* / mortality
  • Colorectal Neoplasms / mortality
  • Colorectal Neoplasms / pathology*
  • Cytoreduction Surgical Procedures* / adverse effects
  • Cytoreduction Surgical Procedures* / mortality
  • Disease Progression
  • Disease-Free Survival
  • Humans
  • Neoplasm Recurrence, Local
  • Peritoneal Neoplasms / mortality
  • Peritoneal Neoplasms / secondary*
  • Peritoneal Neoplasms / therapy*
  • Time Factors
  • Treatment Outcome


  • Antineoplastic Agents