The Relationship Between Epicardial Adipose Tissue Thickness and Infarct-Related Artery Patency in Patients With ST-Segment Elevation Myocardial Infarction

Angiology. 2016 Mar;67(3):281-6. doi: 10.1177/0003319715591330. Epub 2015 Jun 15.

Abstract

We investigated the relationship between epicardial adipose tissue (EAT) and infarct-related artery (IRA) patency before mechanical reperfusion in patients with ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction (STEMI). Patients (n = 640) were divided into 2 groups based on the thrombolysis in myocardial infarction (TIMI) flow grade. Impaired flow was defined as TIMI grades 0, 1, and 2, and normal flow was defined as TIMI 3. On the admission angiography, 65 (10.2%) patients had TIMI 3 flow, and the remaining 575 (89.8%) had TIMI 0, 1, or 2 flow. The impaired flow group patients had a higher incidence of diabetes mellitus (53.7% vs 41.5%, P = .035), higher EAT thickness (5.66 ± 1.84 vs 4.87 ± 2.09 mm, P = .001), and lower ejection fraction (43.1% ± 8.9% vs 47.4% ± 9.1%, P = .025). Multivariate stepwise logistic regression analysis showed that IRA patency was independently associated with EAT thickness (odds ratio [OR] 0.785; 95% confidence interval [CI] 0.712-0.858; P = .001) and neutrophil-lymphocyte ratio (OR 0.815; 95% CI 0.732-0.917; P = .025). Thickness of EAT was an independent predictor of lower TIMI flow in IRA in patients with STEMI.

Keywords: acute coronary syndrome; epicardial adipose tissue thickness; infarct-related artery.

MeSH terms

  • Adipose Tissue / diagnostic imaging*
  • Adult
  • Angioplasty, Balloon, Coronary
  • Chi-Square Distribution
  • Coronary Angiography*
  • Coronary Vessels / diagnostic imaging*
  • Coronary Vessels / physiopathology
  • Female
  • Humans
  • Logistic Models
  • Lymphocyte Count
  • Male
  • Middle Aged
  • Multivariate Analysis
  • Myocardial Infarction / diagnostic imaging*
  • Myocardial Infarction / physiopathology
  • Myocardial Infarction / therapy
  • Neutrophils
  • Odds Ratio
  • Pericardium / diagnostic imaging*
  • Predictive Value of Tests
  • Risk Factors
  • Treatment Outcome
  • Vascular Patency*