Objectives: This study sought to develop a scoring model predicting percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI) success in chronic total occlusions.
Background: Coronary chronic total occlusion is the lesion subtype in which angioplasty is most likely to fail. Chronic total occlusion for PCI (CTO-PCI) failure is associated with higher 1-year mortality and major adverse cardiac events compared with successful CTO-PCI. Although several independent predictors of final procedural success have been identified, no study has yet produced a model predicting final procedural outcome.
Methods: Data from 1,657 consecutive patients who underwent a first-attempt CTO-PCI were prospectively collected. The scoring model was developed in a derivation cohort of 1,143 patients (70%) using a multivariable stepwise analysis to identify independent predictors of CTO-PCI failure. The model was then validated in the remaining 514 (30%).
Results: The overall procedural success rate was 72.5%. Independent predictors of CTO-PCI failure were identified and included in the clinical and lesion-related score (CL-score) as follows: previous coronary artery bypass graft surgery +1.5 (odds ratio [OR]: 2.49, 95% confidence interval [CI]: 1.56 to 3.96), previous myocardial infarction +1 (OR: 1.6, 95% CI: 1.17 to 2.2), severe lesion calcification +2 (OR: 2.72, 95% CI :1.78 to 4.16), longer CTOs +1.5 (≥20 mm OR: 2.04, 95% CI: 1.54 to 2.7), non-left anterior descending coronary artery location +1 (OR: 1.56, 95% CI: 1.14 to 2.15), and blunt stump morphology +1 (OR: 1.39, 95% CI: 1.05 to 1.81). Score values of 0 to 1, >1 and <3, ≥3 and <5, and ≥5 identified subgroups at high, intermediate, low, and very low probability, respectively, of CTO-PCI success (derivation cohort: 84.9%, 74.9%, 58%, and 31.9%; p < 0,0001; validation cohort: 88.3%, 73.1%, 59.4%, and 46.2%; p < 0.0001).
Conclusions: This clinical and angiographic score predicted the final CTO-PCI procedural outcome of our study population.
Keywords: chronic total occlusion; percutaneous coronary intervention; predictive score.
Copyright © 2015 American College of Cardiology Foundation. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.