Hyperbaric oxygen therapy in tinnitus with normal hearing in association with combined treatment

Undersea Hyperb Med. May-Jun 2016;43(3):201-5.

Abstract

Tinnitus is a phantom perception of sound in the absence of overt acoustic stimulation. The focus of our attention is a combined therapy of tinnitus. In this prospective study (2013-2014) we evaluated the data of normal-hearing patients with tinnitus treated with various treatment modalities. In Group 1 we evaluated the data of 84 patients/124 ears after six weeks of treatment with betahistine dihydrochloride (72 mg). In Group 2, we evaluated the data of 36 patients/ 55 ears unimproved from Group 1 who were then treated for six weeks with hyperbaric oxygen (HBO₂) therapy combined with gingko biloba extract (120 mg). In Group 1, tinnitus disappeared in 9.7%, alleviated in 18.5% and improved overall in 28.2%. Average intensity of tinnitus before/after treatment was 37 decibels (dB)/33 dB. Tinnitus intensities after treatment are statistically significantly lower (p = 0.001) than the values before treatment. In Group 2 tinnitus disappeared in 5.4%, 36.4% achieved alleviation, and 41.8% showed overall improvement. The average intensity of tinnitus before/after treatment was 41dB/ 38dB. The values of tinnitus intensity after combined therapy are statistically significantly lower (p = 0.046). We have shown that both methods treatment of tinnitus are statistically significant. HBO₂therapy was recommended for the general public.

MeSH terms

  • Adult
  • Aged
  • Betahistine / therapeutic use*
  • Combined Modality Therapy / methods
  • Female
  • Ginkgo biloba
  • Hearing*
  • Humans
  • Hyperbaric Oxygenation*
  • Male
  • Middle Aged
  • Plant Extracts / therapeutic use*
  • Prospective Studies
  • Severity of Illness Index
  • Tinnitus / therapy*
  • Vasodilator Agents / therapeutic use*

Substances

  • Plant Extracts
  • Vasodilator Agents
  • Betahistine