To identify genetic factors contributing to amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), we conducted whole-exome analyses of 1,022 index familial ALS (FALS) cases and 7,315 controls. In a new screening strategy, we performed gene-burden analyses trained with established ALS genes and identified a significant association between loss-of-function (LOF) NEK1 variants and FALS risk. Independently, autozygosity mapping for an isolated community in the Netherlands identified a NEK1 p.Arg261His variant as a candidate risk factor. Replication analyses of sporadic ALS (SALS) cases and independent control cohorts confirmed significant disease association for both p.Arg261His (10,589 samples analyzed) and NEK1 LOF variants (3,362 samples analyzed). In total, we observed NEK1 risk variants in nearly 3% of ALS cases. NEK1 has been linked to several cellular functions, including cilia formation, DNA-damage response, microtubule stability, neuronal morphology and axonal polarity. Our results provide new and important insights into ALS etiopathogenesis and genetic etiology.
Conflict of interest statement
The authors declare no competing financial interests.
NEK1 genetic variability in a Belgian cohort of ALS and ALS-FTD patients.Neurobiol Aging. 2018 Jan;61:255.e1-255.e7. doi: 10.1016/j.neurobiolaging.2017.08.021. Epub 2017 Aug 31. Neurobiol Aging. 2018. PMID: 28935222
Whole-exome sequencing in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis suggests NEK1 is a risk gene in Chinese.Genome Med. 2017 Nov 17;9(1):97. doi: 10.1186/s13073-017-0487-0. Genome Med. 2017. PMID: 29149916 Free PMC article.
Mutation screening of NEK1 in Chinese ALS patients.Neurobiol Aging. 2018 Nov;71:267.e1-267.e4. doi: 10.1016/j.neurobiolaging.2018.06.022. Epub 2018 Jun 28. Neurobiol Aging. 2018. PMID: 30093141
Genetic epidemiology of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2017 Jul;88(7):540-549. doi: 10.1136/jnnp-2016-315018. Epub 2017 Jan 5. J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 2017. PMID: 28057713 Review.
Dissection of genetic factors associated with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.Exp Neurol. 2014 Dec;262 Pt B:91-101. doi: 10.1016/j.expneurol.2014.04.013. Epub 2014 Apr 26. Exp Neurol. 2014. PMID: 24780888 Review.
Cited by 56 articles
Checking NEKs: Overcoming a Bottleneck in Human Diseases.Molecules. 2020 Apr 13;25(8):1778. doi: 10.3390/molecules25081778. Molecules. 2020. PMID: 32294979 Free PMC article. Review.
Omics Approach to Axonal Dysfunction of Motor Neurons in Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS).Front Neurosci. 2020 Mar 25;14:194. doi: 10.3389/fnins.2020.00194. eCollection 2020. Front Neurosci. 2020. PMID: 32269505 Free PMC article. Review.
Structural Variants May Be a Source of Missing Heritability in sALS.Front Neurosci. 2020 Jan 31;14:47. doi: 10.3389/fnins.2020.00047. eCollection 2020. Front Neurosci. 2020. PMID: 32082115 Free PMC article.
ALS Genetics, Mechanisms, and Therapeutics: Where Are We Now?Front Neurosci. 2019 Dec 6;13:1310. doi: 10.3389/fnins.2019.01310. eCollection 2019. Front Neurosci. 2019. PMID: 31866818 Free PMC article. Review.
Human genetics and neuropathology suggest a link between miR-218 and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis pathophysiology.Sci Transl Med. 2019 Dec 18;11(523):eaav5264. doi: 10.1126/scitranslmed.aav5264. Sci Transl Med. 2019. PMID: 31852800
- U01 AG032984/AG/NIA NIH HHS/United States
- HHSN268201100007C/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS/United States
- R01 AG033193/AG/NIA NIH HHS/United States
- HHSN268201100005I/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS/United States
- U54 HG003079/HG/NHGRI NIH HHS/United States
- U01 AG049505/AG/NIA NIH HHS/United States
- HHSN268201100012C/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS/United States
- RC2 HL102419/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS/United States
- HHSN268201100009I/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS/United States
- JONES/OCT15/958-799/MNDA_/Motor Neurone Disease Association/United Kingdom
- MR/K000039/1/MRC_/Medical Research Council/United Kingdom
- MR/K01014X/1/MRC_/Medical Research Council/United Kingdom
- U54 HG003067/HG/NHGRI NIH HHS/United States
- HHSN268201100010C/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS/United States
- MC_G1000733/MRC_/Medical Research Council/United Kingdom
- U24 AG021886/AG/NIA NIH HHS/United States
- HHSN268201100008C/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS/United States
- MR/L501529/1/MRC_/Medical Research Council/United Kingdom
- HHSN268201100005G/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS/United States
- U01 AG049507/AG/NIA NIH HHS/United States
- HHSN268201100008I/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS/United States
- G0600974/MRC_/Medical Research Council/United Kingdom
- HHSN268201100011I/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS/United States
- HHMI/Howard Hughes Medical Institute/United States
- HHSN268201100011C/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS/United States
- U01 AG016976/AG/NIA NIH HHS/United States
- TURNER/JAN13/944-795/MNDA_/Motor Neurone Disease Association/United Kingdom
- UF1 AG047133/AG/NIA NIH HHS/United States
- U54 HG003273/HG/NHGRI NIH HHS/United States
- R01 NS073873/NS/NINDS NIH HHS/United States
- R01 HL105756/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS/United States
- HHSN268201100006C/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS/United States
- U24 AG041689/AG/NIA NIH HHS/United States
- G0900688/MRC_/Medical Research Council/United Kingdom
- U01 AG049508/AG/NIA NIH HHS/United States
- HHSN268201100009C/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS/United States
- HHSN268201100005C/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS/United States
- HHSN268201100007I/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS/United States
- U01 AG049506/AG/NIA NIH HHS/United States
- WT_/Wellcome Trust/United Kingdom