Skip to main page content
Access keys NCBI Homepage MyNCBI Homepage Main Content Main Navigation
Comparative Study
, 38 (7), 1347-1353

CLINICAL FINDINGS OF EYES WITH MACULAR EDEMA ASSOCIATED WITH BRANCH RETINAL VEIN OCCLUSION REFRACTORY TO RANIBIZUMAB

Affiliations
Comparative Study

CLINICAL FINDINGS OF EYES WITH MACULAR EDEMA ASSOCIATED WITH BRANCH RETINAL VEIN OCCLUSION REFRACTORY TO RANIBIZUMAB

Taiji Hasegawa et al. Retina.

Abstract

Purpose: To determine the relationship between the clinical findings and the response to ranibizumab therapy in eyes with macular edema associated with branch retinal vein occlusion.

Methods: We reviewed the medical records of 68 patients with macular edema associated with a branch retinal vein occlusion. The patients were placed in the refractory group if the central foveal thickness remained more than 250 μm throughout the 6-month study period despite the ranibizumab therapy; otherwise, they were placed in the responsive group.

Results: Sixty (88.2%) of 68 eyes were placed in the responsive group and the other 8 eyes (11.8%) were placed in the refractory group. At the pretreatment examination, fluorescein angiography showed extensive leakage from occluded vessels in 52 (86.7%) of the 60 eyes in the responsive group and focal leakages from microaneurysms or dilated capillaries in the other 8 eyes (13.3%). In the refractory group, 7 (87.5%) of 8 eyes had only focal leakage and 1 eye (12.5%) had extensive leakage (P < 0.0001). The mean initial subfoveal choroidal thickness in the eyes with branch retinal vein occlusion in the responsive group was significantly thicker than that in the fellow eyes (278.0 ± 90.5 μm, 249.9 ± 94.4 μm; P < 0.0001). On the other hand, the mean initial subfoveal choroidal thickness in the refractory group was not significantly different from that of the fellow eyes (P = 0.4002).

Conclusion: The dye leakage pattern in the fluorescein angiography images and choroidal thickness may be associated with response to ranibizumab therapy.

Comment in

  • Correspondence
    R Venkatesh et al. Retina 39 (6), e24-e25. PMID 30908471.
  • Reply
    T Hasegawa et al. Retina 39 (6), e25. PMID 30932999.
  • Reply
    T Hasegawa et al. Retina 39 (6), e23-e24. PMID 30933000.
  • Correspondence
    A Shrivastav et al. Retina 39 (6), e23. PMID 31083004.

Similar articles

See all similar articles

Cited by 1 PubMed Central articles

Publication types

MeSH terms

Substances

LinkOut - more resources

Feedback