Albuminuria Reduction after High Dose of Vitamin D in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus: A Pilot Study

Front Endocrinol (Lausanne). 2017 Aug 14;8:199. doi: 10.3389/fendo.2017.00199. eCollection 2017.

Abstract

Background: Some studies suggest an association between diabetic kidney disease (DKD) and vitamin D (VD), but there is no data about the effect of high dose of VD on DKD in type 1 diabetes mellitus (T1DM). Our pilot study aims to evaluate albuminuria reduction in patients with T1DM supplemented with high dose of VD.

Methods: 22 patients received doses of 4,000 and 10,000 IU/day of cholecalciferol for 12 weeks according to patient's previous VD levels. They were submitted to continuous glucose monitoring system, 24 hours ambulatory blood pressure monitoring and urine albumin-to-creatinine ratio before and after VD supplementation.

Results: There was a reduction of DKD prevalence at the end of the study (68 vs 32%; p = 0.05), with no changes on insulin doses, glycated hemoglobin, glycemic variability and blood pressure values. A correlation between percentage variation of VD levels (ΔVD) and albuminuria at the end of the study was presented (r = -0.5; p < 0.05). Among T1DM patients with DKD at the beginning of the study, 8/13 (62%) had their DKD stage improved, while the other five ones (38%) showed no changes (p < 0.05).

Conclusion: Our pilot study suggests an association between VD high dose supplementation, lower prevalence and improvement in stages of DKD in T1DM.

Keywords: cholecalciferol; diabetes kidney disease; high dose vitamin D supplementation; nephropathy; type 1 diabetes mellitus; vitamin D supplementation.