Case 1: A 63-year-old woman with secondary lower limb lymphedema. As it was difficult to detect the lymphatic vessels in the right thigh in indocyanine green lymphography because of thick fat, we tried echography and observed circular structures beneath the superficial fascia. Intraoperatively, we found a dilated lymphatic vessel just as observed on echography. Case 2: A 45-year-old woman with primary lower limb lymphedema. As she was allergic to iodinated contrast medium, we could not use indocyanine green lymphography preoperatively. In echography, we found vascular architectures and found the dilated lymphatic vessels intraoperatively just as observed on echography. In conclusion, application of echography in detecting the lymphatic vessels was useful as a preoperative examination of lymphaticovenous anastomosis.
Keywords: Lymphedema; echography; lymphatic vessel; lymphaticovenous anastomosis; ultrasonography.
Conflict of interest statement
Declaration of conflicting interests: The author(s) declared no potential conflicts of interest with respect to the research, authorship, and/or publication of this article.
Blocking of the Lymphatic Vessel in Lymphedema.Eplasty. 2017 Mar 27;17:e11. eCollection 2017. Eplasty. 2017. PMID: 28405261 Free PMC article.
Lymphatic Vessel Thrombosis in a Patient with Secondary Lymphedema.Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2019 May 24;7(5):e2268. doi: 10.1097/GOX.0000000000002268. eCollection 2019 May. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2019. PMID: 31333981 Free PMC article.
Microsurgical lymphaticovenous implantation targeting dermal lymphatic backflow using indocyanine green fluorescence lymphography in the treatment of postmastectomy lymphedema.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2011 May;127(5):1804-11. doi: 10.1097/PRS.0b013e31820cf2e2. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2011. PMID: 21532410
Effective and efficient lymphaticovenular anastomosis using preoperative ultrasound detection technique of lymphatic vessels in lower extremity lymphedema.J Surg Oncol. 2018 Feb;117(2):290-298. doi: 10.1002/jso.24812. Epub 2017 Oct 23. J Surg Oncol. 2018. PMID: 29058780 Clinical Trial.
Indocyanine Green Lymphography Findings in Limb Lymphedema.J Reconstr Microsurg. 2016 Jan;32(1):72-9. doi: 10.1055/s-0035-1564608. Epub 2015 Sep 30. J Reconstr Microsurg. 2016. PMID: 26422172 Review.
- Granzow JW, Soderberg JM, Kaji AH, et al. An effective system of surgical treatment of lymphedema. Ann Surg Oncol 2014; 21(4): 1189–1194. - PubMed
- Chang DW. Lymphaticovenular bypass for lymphedema management in breast cancer patients: a prospective study. Plast Reconstr Surg 2010; 126(3): 752–758. - PubMed
- Hara H, Mihara M, Seki Y, et al. Comparison of indocyanine green lymphographic findings with the conditions of collecting lymphatic vessels of limbs in patients with lymphedema. Plast Reconstr Surg 2013; 132: 1612–1618. - PubMed
- Hara H, Mihara M, Ohtsu H, et al. Indication of lymphaticovenous anastomosis for lower limb primary lymphedema. Plast Reconstr Surg 2015; 136(4): 883–893. - PubMed
- Mihara M, Hara H, Tange S, et al. Multisite lymphaticovenular bypass using supermicrosurgery technique for lymphedema management in lower lymphedema cases. Plast Reconstr Surg 2016; 138: 262–272. - PubMed