The Impact of a Fogarty International Center-Supported Tuberculosis Research Training Program in the Country of Georgia

Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2018 Apr;98(4):1069-1074. doi: 10.4269/ajtmh.17-0667. Epub 2018 Feb 1.


In 2004, there existed limited tuberculosis (TB) research capacity in the country of Georgia. In response, a collaborative research training program (RTP) supported by a National Institutes of Health Fogarty International Center Global Infectious Diseases grant was formed between a U.S. academic institution and the National Center for Tuberculosis and Lung Disease (NCTLD) and other institutions in Georgia. We sought to assess outcomes of this RTP. The TB RTP combined didactic and mentored research training for Georgian trainees. Long-term trainees were supported for a 2-year period and with posttrainee career development mentoring. Metrics used to measure program performance included publications, grants received, and career advancement. From 2004 to 2015, 20 trainees participated in the program with 15 (75%) authoring a total of 65 publications in PubMed-listed journals. The median number of publications per trainee was six (interquartile range 2-14). A total of 16 (80%) trainees remain working in the area of TB; nine were promoted to leadership positions and three to lead research units at Georgian institutions. Ten (50%) trainees were the principal investigator (PI) of a peer-reviewed external grant after Fogarty-supported training, and 40% served as research mentors. Annual TB-related research funding at the NCTLD increased from $5,000 in 2005 to ∼$1.5 million in 2017. A Georgian Fogarty trainee was either PI, site PI, or coinvestigator on > 90% of all research funding. We believe that the NIH Fogarty-funded TB research training grant has made critical contributions to increasing the TB-related research infrastructure and capacity in Georgia, particularly at the NCTLD.

Publication types

  • Research Support, N.I.H., Extramural
  • Research Support, Non-U.S. Gov't

MeSH terms

  • Adult
  • Biomedical Research / economics*
  • Female
  • Georgia
  • Humans
  • Male
  • Middle Aged
  • National Institutes of Health (U.S.)
  • Publications / statistics & numerical data
  • Tuberculosis*
  • United States