Skip to main page content
Access keys NCBI Homepage MyNCBI Homepage Main Content Main Navigation
. 2019 Feb;57(2):213-219.
doi: 10.1016/j.ejvs.2018.08.002. Epub 2018 Aug 31.

Use of Bilateral Cook Zenith Iliac Branch Devices to Preserve Internal Iliac Artery Flow During Endovascular Aneurysm Repair

Affiliations
Free article

Use of Bilateral Cook Zenith Iliac Branch Devices to Preserve Internal Iliac Artery Flow During Endovascular Aneurysm Repair

Pablo Marques de Marino et al. Eur J Vasc Endovasc Surg. .
Free article

Abstract

Objectives: Iliac branch devices (IBD) have become a widespread option to preserve antegrade internal iliac artery (IIA) flow during endovascular aneurysm repair (EVAR). Reported experience with bilateral implantation of IBDs is limited. This study aimed to describe the indications, technical options, and outcomes with the use of bilateral IBDs.

Methods: All patients undergoing elective implantation of bilateral Cook Zenith IBD between January 2010 and September 2017 in a single centre were included. Bilateral IBD was indicated in physically active, anatomically suitable patients and those with previous or concomitant surgery for a thoraco-abdominal aortic aneurysm or impaired collateral circulation to the IIA. Data were collected prospectively.

Results: Twenty-nine patients (29 male, mean age 64.1 ± 10 years) were included. Of the 58 IBDs, 48 (83%) were implanted in one procedure and 10 (17%) in two procedures (mean time between procedures 30.4 ± 9 months). Nineteen patients (65%) had a previous or simultaneous EVAR and the remaining 10 (35%) a previous or simultaneous complex aortic repair. Mean CIA diameter was 35.2 ± 8 mm. Technical success was achieved in 55 of the 58 IBDs (95%) with no mortality. Axillary artery access was used in 13 (38%) procedures. During follow up, four (7%) IIA branches occluded (1 bilateral occlusion and 2 unilateral). Estimated IIA branch patency at one and three years was 97.8% ± 2% and 88.5% ± 7%, respectively. All patients with late IIA occlusion remained asymptomatic. Re-intervention was needed in four patients (14%): two bridging stent graft extensions for type Ib endoleak, one relining of the external iliac artery because of mural in-stent thrombus and one femoro-femoral crossover bypass to treat an external iliac limb occlusion.

Conclusions: Bilateral implantation of IBDs is a safe and effective technique to preserve IIA flow in selected patients with suitable anatomy, showing similar technical success and mid-term outcomes to the unilateral use of the device.

Keywords: Branched stent graft; Endovascular aneurysm repair; Hypogastric; Iliac aneurysm; Iliac branch device; Internal iliac artery.

Comment in

Similar articles

See all similar articles

Cited by 2 articles

LinkOut - more resources

Feedback