Healing of extraction socket leads to the dimensional changes which will affect the placement of the implant and its emergence profile. Atraumatic extraction, socket preservation technique, and immediate implant placement decrease the alveolar bone resorption by maintaining the postextraction socket. Hürzeler et al. introduced socket-shield technique by keeping a buccal fragment of the tooth to prevent the buccal cortical bone from resorption. This case report represents a 40-year-old male patient with grossly decayed maxillary left lateral incisor indicated for extraction replaced with an immediate implant. While examining cone-beam computed tomography, thin buccal cortical plate was noticed which may get fracture during extraction. Socket-shield technique was designed for implant placement to protect buccal bone and to get the proper esthetic form. Two millimeters buccal fragment of the tooth was kept attached and the implant was placed in contact with tooth fragment. Three-month follow-up shows proper healing, and healthy peri-implant tissue shows that socket-shield technique with immediate implant placement will be a good alternative to preserve buccal cortical plate and implant placement, especially in the esthetic area.
Keywords: Anterior implant; immediate implant; ridge preservation; socket-shield technique.
Conflict of interest statement
There are no conflicts of interest.
Socket-shield Technique and Immediate Implant Placement for Ridge Preservation: Case Report Series with 1-year Follow-up.J Contemp Dent Pract. 2019 Sep 1;20(9):1108-1117. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2019. PMID: 31797838
The Modified Socket Shield Technique.J Craniofac Surg. 2018 Nov;29(8):2247-2254. doi: 10.1097/SCS.0000000000004494. J Craniofac Surg. 2018. PMID: 29561484
Improved volume and contour stability with thin socket-shield preparation in immediate implant placement and provisionalization in the esthetic zone.Int J Esthet Dent. 2018;13(2):172-183. Int J Esthet Dent. 2018. PMID: 29687096
Esthetic outcomes following immediate and early implant placement in the anterior maxilla--a systematic review.Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2014;29 Suppl:186-215. doi: 10.11607/jomi.2014suppl.g3.3. Int J Oral Maxillofac Implants. 2014. PMID: 24660198 Review.
Buccal bone crest dynamics after immediate implant placement and ridge preservation techniques: review of morphometric studies in animals.Implant Dent. 2013 Apr;22(2):155-60. doi: 10.1097/ID.0b013e318287a947. Implant Dent. 2013. PMID: 23462592 Review.
- Amler MH, Johnson PL, Salman I. Histological and histochemical investigation of human alveolar socket healing in undisturbed extraction wounds. J Am Dent Assoc. 1960;61:32–44. - PubMed
- Hürzeler MB, Zuhr O, Schupbach P, Rebele SF, Emmanouilidis N, Fickl S, et al. The socket-shield technique: A proof-of-principle report. J Clin Periodontol. 2010;37:855–62. - PubMed
- Salama M, Ishikawa T, Salama H, Funato A, Garber D. Advantages of the root submergence technique for pontic site development in esthetic implant therapy. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent. 2007;27:521–7. - PubMed
- Kan JY, Rungcharassaeng K. Proximal socket shield for interimplant papilla preservation in the esthetic zone. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent. 2013;33:e24–31. - PubMed
- Resnik RR, Misch C. Prophylactic antibiotic regimens in oral implantology: Rationale and protocol. Implant Dent. 2008;17:142–50. - PubMed