Vasculogenic Chronic Ulcer: Tissue Regeneration with an Innovative Dermal Substitute

J Clin Med. 2019 Apr 17;8(4):525. doi: 10.3390/jcm8040525.


The healing of venous and arterial ulcers is slow, and in some cases, they may not heal at all. This study aims to demonstrate the clinical advantage of Nevelia®, an innovative collagen dermal template substitute (DS) in venous and arterial chronic ulcers treatment. 35 patients affected by chronic vascular ulcers with a mean area of 35.1 ± 31.8 cm2 were treated with DS followed by autologous dermal epidermal graft (DEG). Follow-up was performed at 7-14-21 and 28 days after DS implant and 7-14-21 and 28 days after DEG. At 28 days after DEG, the mean values of Manchester Scar Scale was of 1.8 ± 0.7 for skin color, 1.6 ± 0.7 for skin contour, 1.7 ± 0.7 for distortion, and 1.7 ± 0.7 for skin texture, whereas skin was matte in 27 patients (77%) and shiny in the remaining eight cases (23%). Histological findings correlate with the clinical result showing a regenerated skin with reactive epidermal hyperplasia and dermal granulation tissue after two weeks (T1), and after three weeks (T2) a re-epithelialization and a formed new tissue architecture analogue to normal skin physiology. These data suggest that Nevelia® could be useful to treat chronic venous and arterial ulcers.

Keywords: Nevelia; arterial; chronic ulcers; collagen; dermal substitute; venous.