Prognostic indices for bladder cancer: an analysis of patients with transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder primarily treated by radical megavoltage X-ray therapy

Radiother Oncol. 1986 Dec;7(4):311-21. doi: 10.1016/s0167-8140(86)80060-3.


A group of 889 patients who completed radical X-ray therapy for transitional cell carcinoma of the bladder during a 12 year period were analysed by a multivariate technique. The patient's age, tumour category, tumour size and haemoglobin level were shown to be independent prognostic covariates. A prognostic index was derived and four prognostic subgroups were identified. The prognostic index could divide patients within each T category into those with good, moderate, fair or poor prognosis. The 5 year actuarial survival rate for patients in the poor prognosis group was 5.8% compared to 69.8% for patients in the good prognosis group. Durable local tumour control after radical radiotherapy was also analysed by a multivariate technique. Tumour category, grade, haemoglobin and urea level were found to be significant covariates. A tumour control index was derived and two groups were identified corresponding to a high probability of lasting local control after radical radiotherapy (47.8% of patients) or a low probability of control (52.2%).

MeSH terms

  • Adult
  • Aged
  • Aged, 80 and over
  • Analysis of Variance
  • Carcinoma, Transitional Cell / mortality
  • Carcinoma, Transitional Cell / radiotherapy*
  • Humans
  • Middle Aged
  • Neoplasm Metastasis
  • Prognosis
  • Radiotherapy, High-Energy*
  • Urinary Bladder Neoplasms / mortality
  • Urinary Bladder Neoplasms / radiotherapy*