The pleiotropic actions of interleukin-2 (IL-2) are essential for regulation of immune responses and maintenance of immune tolerance. The IL-2 receptor (IL-2R) is composed of IL-2Rα, IL-2Rβ, and IL-2Rγ subunits, with defects in IL-2Rα and IL-2Rγ and their downstream signaling effectors resulting in known primary immunodeficiency disorders. Here, we report the first human defect in IL-2Rβ, occurring in two infant siblings with a homozygous IL2RB mutation in the WSXWS motif, manifesting as multisystem autoimmunity and susceptibility to CMV infection. The hypomorphic mutation results in diminished IL-2Rβ surface expression and dysregulated IL-2/15 signaling, with an anticipated reduction in regulatory T cells. However, in contrast to the IL-2Rβ-/- animal model, which lacks NK cells, these siblings demonstrate an expansion of NK cells, particularly the CD56bright subset, and a lack of terminally differentiated NK cells. Thus, the early-onset autoimmunity and immunodeficiency are linked to functional deficits arising from altered IL-2Rβ expression and signaling in T and NK cells.
© 2019 Fernandez et al.
Surface and intracellular interleukin-2 receptor expression on various resting and activated populations involved in cell-mediated immunity in human peripheral blood.Scand J Immunol. 2000 Jan;51(1):67-72. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-3083.2000.00644.x. Scand J Immunol. 2000. PMID: 10632978
Further analysis of interleukin-2 receptor subunit expression on the different human peripheral blood mononuclear cell subsets.Blood. 1998 Jan 1;91(1):165-72. Blood. 1998. PMID: 9414281
Human interleukin-2 receptor β mutations associated with defects in immunity and peripheral tolerance.J Exp Med. 2019 Jun 3;216(6):1311-1327. doi: 10.1084/jem.20182304. Epub 2019 Apr 30. J Exp Med. 2019. PMID: 31040185 Free PMC article.
Signaling domains of the interleukin 2 receptor.Cytokine. 2001 Apr 21;14(2):63-77. doi: 10.1006/cyto.2001.0862. Cytokine. 2001. PMID: 11356007 Review.
X-linked SCID and other defects of cytokine pathways.Semin Hematol. 1998 Oct;35(4):299-309. Semin Hematol. 1998. PMID: 9801259 Review.
Cited by 6 articles
Human inborn errors of immunity to herpes viruses.Curr Opin Immunol. 2020 Feb;62:106-122. doi: 10.1016/j.coi.2020.01.004. Epub 2020 Jan 31. Curr Opin Immunol. 2020. PMID: 32014647 Review.
Human Inborn Errors of Immunity: 2019 Update on the Classification from the International Union of Immunological Societies Expert Committee.J Clin Immunol. 2020 Jan;40(1):24-64. doi: 10.1007/s10875-019-00737-x. Epub 2020 Jan 17. J Clin Immunol. 2020. PMID: 31953710 Free PMC article.
Primary immunodeficiencies: novel genes and unusual presentations.Hematology Am Soc Hematol Educ Program. 2019 Dec 6;2019(1):443-448. doi: 10.1182/hematology.2019000051. Hematology Am Soc Hematol Educ Program. 2019. PMID: 31808899
Autoimmunity as a continuum in primary immunodeficiency.Curr Opin Pediatr. 2019 Dec;31(6):851-862. doi: 10.1097/MOP.0000000000000833. Curr Opin Pediatr. 2019. PMID: 31693597 Free PMC article.
Regulatory T Cells: the Many Faces of Foxp3.J Clin Immunol. 2019 Oct;39(7):623-640. doi: 10.1007/s10875-019-00684-7. Epub 2019 Sep 2. J Clin Immunol. 2019. PMID: 31478130 Review.
- Amir A.D., Davis K.L., Tadmor M.D., Simonds E.F., Levine J.H., Bendall S.C., Shenfeld D.K., Krishnaswamy S., Nolan G.P., and Pe’er D. 2013. viSNE enables visualization of high dimensional single-cell data and reveals phenotypic heterogeneity of leukemia. Nat. Biotechnol. 31:545–552. 10.1038/nbt.2594 - DOI - PMC - PubMed
- Baumgartner J.W., Wells C.A., Chen C.M., and Waters M.J. 1994. The role of the WSXWS equivalent motif in growth hormone receptor function. J. Biol. Chem. 269:29094–29101. - PubMed
- Bennett C.L., Christie J., Ramsdell F., Brunkow M.E., Ferguson P.J., Whitesell L., Kelly T.E., Saulsbury F.T., Chance P.F., and Ochs H.D. 2001. The immune dysregulation, polyendocrinopathy, enteropathy, X-linked syndrome (IPEX) is caused by mutations of FOXP3. Nat. Genet. 27:20–21. 10.1038/83713 - DOI - PubMed
- Bernasconi A., Marino R., Ribas A., Rossi J., Ciaccio M., Oleastro M., Ornani A., Paz R., Rivarola M.A., Zelazko M., and Belgorosky A. 2006. Characterization of immunodeficiency in a patient with growth hormone insensitivity secondary to a novel STAT5b gene mutation. Pediatrics. 118:e1584–e1592. 10.1542/peds.2005-2882 - DOI - PubMed
- R01 AI126899/AI/NIAID NIH HHS/United States
- T32 AI007502/AI/NIAID NIH HHS/United States
- R01 AI100879/AI/NIAID NIH HHS/United States
- T32 AI007405/AI/NIAID NIH HHS/United States
- R01 AI101205/AI/NIAID NIH HHS/United States
- T32 GM008497/GM/NIGMS NIH HHS/United States
- U01 AI131302/AI/NIAID NIH HHS/United States
- K23 DK100461/DK/NIDDK NIH HHS/United States
- K23 AR070897/AR/NIAMS NIH HHS/United States
- R01 GM123169/GM/NIGMS NIH HHS/United States
- R56 HL068702/HL/NHLBI NIH HHS/United States
- TL1 TR001084/TR/NCATS NIH HHS/United States
- R01 AI066121/AI/NIAID NIH HHS/United States
- R01 CA102667/CA/NCI NIH HHS/United States